Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:00:35 AM

Author Topic: Run Inhibit - Based on Input  (Read 3730 times)

Run Inhibit - Based on Input
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »
I'm not sure where to go with this.  I've got a machine that's running pretty good right now, but I am about to put on a new solenoid valve operated pneumatic spindle brake.  I'ld like to be able to set the brake and inhibit spindle start or program run, but still be able to jog the machine if I need to.  I'ld like to add a mechanical push on / push off button to my control console to operate the brake.  The electrical part is easy for me to figure out.  I'm not sure how to configure Mach 3 to do it.  I've got spare inputs on my breakout board. 

I could just cut the input lead to the VFD with a relay, but that wouldn't prevent Mach from crashing a tool into a work piece if I forget to release the brake.  I could add a really annoying sounder and a blinking light, but again it doesn't actually prevent a crash.  My existing brake is tied to my E-stop switch, but I don't want to estop the machine for a tool change as it kills the job clock.  The new brake is strong enough to allow me to do single spanner tool changes. 

I know.  I know.  Beginner question right?  LOL. 
Re: Run Inhibit - Based on Input
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:51:39 AM »
Wire the brake to a switch bar you actuate with your knee and make it impossible to reach start & the brake at the same time ;-)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
I'm glad you finished with a smiley and a wink.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »
Should you build a system that allows you to start the motor with a brake on? :D
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 04:27:36 PM »
The spindle will not start with the brake activated.  Already addressed.  Move on to the actual question please. 

Do you know how to use an input to inhibit the ability to start or resume a job in Mach 3?   ie Pushing the start button does nothing if the brake is engaged, but jogging is still possible.  

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:38:47 PM by Bob La Londe »
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »
I don't use custom buttons but I've read the documentation and you can replace the code behind many buttons in Mach3
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 05:05:58 PM »
I am not using a custom button.  Well I wasn't planning to anyway.  I just want to inhibit the run button. Actually that might be the answer.  I'll have to download the screen editor again and see what is actually in the green start button.  I was thinking this would be more Mach native and less custom, but custom makes sense too. 

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:09:54 PM »
HIYA BOB I think what you are looking for is the door safety function. Where IF it is active it inhibites teh running of Gcode. I am not sure IF you can jog but I would think so. That is a normal CNC safety feature.

(;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
That makes sense.  I'll follow up on that line of thought. 
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 09:17:54 PM »
Ok...  Sometimes I forget stuff is there.  Looks like on General Logic Config page in the lower left corner is Program Safety Lockout.  Click the radio box then go to the ports and pins page and set input one on, and set high or low as appropriate.  Hook my trigger for the brake to to pin programmed to input 1 and I am good to go.  Preliminary testing on my passive test installation (no machine connected) seems to show that it does not allow jogging while locked. Well it is probably safer this way, but it isn't what I wanted.  Still it will allow for faster easier tool changes with just the spanner on the kwik lock collar.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:24:07 PM by Bob La Londe »