Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:31:56 PM

Author Topic: Problem of scale between Aspire 4.0 and Mach 3  (Read 6623 times)

Problem of scale between Aspire 4.0 and Mach 3
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:00:37 AM »
I'm having trouble when I import a project in G-code from Aspire to Mach3. In Aspire, the project dimensions are, say, 250mm x 250mm. When imported to Mach3, the Toolpath screen shows the perimeter of the table and within that perimeter, the project dimension is in correct proportion. However, once I start the Cycle, the actual router starts carving the correct project in correct proportion but in a much larger scale that doesn't even fit on the table.

Can I assume that the steeper motors are being fed information that is out of scale? And if so, where do I go to adjust this?
Re: Problem of scale between Aspire 4.0 and Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 04:33:49 AM »
In the box next to the DRO's in the program run screen, what is the scale set to?
Do you have your native units in Mach3 set correctly, MM versus Inch?
Did you use the correct postprocessor for your native units when saving the toolpaths in Aspire?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »
If your code has a G21 in the first few lines after the header the code is Metric, if it's a G20 then it's imperial, your CAD side will just work in "Units" and your CAM's Post Processor is required to spit out the right config code for the controller (Mach3)
The Post Processor generating a G20 for a project you think you've created in metric is a common cause of unusually large movements, over-size parts and horrible crashes on plunge cuts ;-)

- Nick
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 11:12:53 PM »
In the box next to the DRO's in the program run screen, what is the scale set to?
Do you have your native units in Mach3 set correctly, MM versus Inch?
Did you use the correct postprocessor for your native units when saving the toolpaths in Aspire?
Thanks ozymax.
The scales are all set to zero. The native units are set to mm. The post processor is set to 'GCODE (mm)(*.TAP)
This all seems as it should to me. Your thoughts. I can take photos of the screen at different points if that might help?
Regards
Doug
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 11:26:15 PM »
If your code has a G21 in the first few lines after the header the code is Metric, if it's a G20 then it's imperial, your CAD side will just work in "Units" and your CAM's Post Processor is required to spit out the right config code for the controller (Mach3)
The Post Processor generating a G20 for a project you think you've created in metric is a common cause of unusually large movements, over-size parts and horrible crashes on plunge cuts ;-)

- Nick
Hi Nick,
There isn't a G20 or G21 in the first few lines of code. Only a G17 on the second line (X Y Plane select) Does this mean that Aspire is 'forgetting' to nominate the units of measurement?
Best regards
Doug
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 11:33:28 PM »
Here's the first few lines of code, if it helps.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 02:19:10 AM »
Doug,
As there's no G20 or G21 then Mach3 will just run with the unit system you've manually chosen.

I guess the first questios should have been

When did the router last cut to correct sizes?

Has the motor tuning in Mach3 altered since everything worked properly?

and

When did you you check and adjust the motor tuning?

Regards,
Nick
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:22:12 AM by magicniner »
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:18:03 AM »
Doug,
As there's no G20 or G21 then Mach3 will just run with the unit system you've manually chosen.

I guess the first questios should have been

When did the router last cut to correct sizes?

Has the motor tuning in Mach3 altered since everything worked properly?

and

When did you you check and adjust the motor tuning?

Regards,
Nick
Thanks again for your time and patience, Nick.

I recently bought this second hand and it came with the software (licensed copy, Newfangled said that's ok). Mach 3 was set up in Imperial and the guy I bought it from said it works better in Imperial so I asked him why. He said 'Oh well, I just prefer imperial.' I don't, so when I got it all home, I downloaded all the Mach 3 tutorials and reset it all in Metric. In the process, I followed through the whole setup procedure as an exercise in familiarisation.

That being said, this is all totally new to me and I may have got some of it wrong. So, in answer to your question, the motor tuning has been done by me since I bought the router and could well be wrong.

I thought that the tuning would only get the speed and acceleration settings right, not the dimensions. It sounds like I'd better go through that process again. Perhaps I should have left well alone :-P

Is there a particular area in tuning that I should check?

Regards
Doug
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 04:21:22 AM »
In that case it sounds like you may need to recalibrate all your axis's.
There is a function that walks you through setting up your "steps per", so that your axis's move the correct distance they're told.
You'll find this function in the bottom left of the "Setting" screen, just above the reset button.
When it asks for a distance to travel start off small at first. Once you save those settings do the calibration again using almost your machines maximum amount of travel.
The longer the distance you use to calculate the steps per, the more accurate the calibration will be.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 04:25:59 AM »
In that case it sounds like you may need to recalibrate all your axis's.
There is a function that walks you through setting up your "steps per", so that your axis's move the correct distance they're told.
You'll find this function in the bottom left of the "Setting" screen, just above the reset button.
When it asks for a distance to travel start off small at first. Once you save those settings do the calibration again using almost your machines maximum amount of travel.
The longer the distance you use to calculate the steps per, the more accurate the calibration will be.
Thanks again, ozymax.
I'll give that a try and let you know how it went :-)