Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:51:11 PM

Author Topic: whats with the mini vfd's currently for sale?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
whats with the mini vfd's currently for sale?
« on: September 21, 2015, 03:58:36 PM »
are they the same internal giblets as the earlier things simply packaged tighter?

I think I am wanting a water cooled .8kw spindle = 65mm 4 bearing
 and mini vfd
vfd's state .75kw and not .8kw

is that correct?

I don't want more than 1hp and that's what it is...
says its 2 amps?

next jump at say 1.5kw is 2 hp and pulls 7 amps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-0-8KW-ER11-WATER-COOLED-SPINDLE-MOTOR-0-8KW-INVERTER-DRIVE-VFD-FOR-CNC-/271881269449?hash=item3f4d62f0c9

just want to be able to switch it on and it be quieter than my mains fed router.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:01:26 PM by nobby »
Re: whats with the mini vfd's currently for sale?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
The drive is rated at 100% load. The chances of using 100% of 0.75kw or 1 hp is pretty slim unless you are using a large tool and taking deep cuts with a high feed rate. Its a cheap Chinese knock off VFD which are well know for low quality so the life expectancy is questionable. They don't meet UL or CE product safety standards. Most Chinese VFD's I've seen don't even have a model spec ID sticker attached so no telling what the actual HP or KW rating is. Good luck returning a failed drive to China under the claimed 2 year warranty or getting service or startup help.

All of us have been bitten by the lure of cheap Chinese parts and found out very quickly you get what you pay for. 
Re: whats with the mini vfd's currently for sale?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »
I was at the Little Machine Shop "open house" last year. One of their high-end machines is the Tormach mill. The company reps were there, running parts on one the mills. I asked them where the machine was built; answer: CHINA. Their company headquarters is in Wisconsin if I remember. They just designed the machine. Their new slant lathe is also a China product.
I just bought a "RIGID" orbital 5" sander. Made in China. Further reading of the paperwork, the Rigid brand is just a name, owned by New World .... or some such international marketing machine. Same for Black & Decker, and most of the other big-names in power tools. My Bosch saw is "made in China."
My machine shop is in Los Angeles, and about one mile west is Santa Fe avenue, which used to be "Machinery Row", where all the machine tool makers had their western headquarters and major distributors; it is now clothing sweatshops, and distribution warehouses. The famous architectural marvel, "Goodyear" tire plant is now a mall.
If I need a cutting tool immediately, the closest place is nearly an hour drive. I now buy all my tooling on the internet.
This is the "de-industrialization" of the United States, started in the 1970's, and is government policy.