Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:09:04 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 how good is your PC  (Read 4182 times)

Mach4 how good is your PC
« on: September 08, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
I tried asking how good of a machine I need, so lets go this route to try to figure out what works and what doesn't

What are you using, and are you have experiencing any delay or have you had to downgrade your refresh rate? ---------If you tried something and it wasn't up to par, let us know that also so we know what to avoid.
Lets go with the following
Brand - Dell- homemade ?
Processor -  Intel, AMD ?
Processor Speed?
Installed RAM?
32bit or 64bit?
Video Card?

Thanks
Re: Mach4 how good is your PC
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
See the list of requirements at the bottom of this page:

http://www.pmdx.com/Mach4Hobby

As always, more is usually better, but these are the minimum recommended.

Regards,
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:51:10 PM »
Regarding the requirements.... Do they even make video cards with 256 or 512MB any more?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:06:59 PM »
A lot of users are still using old machines on their equipment (XT) with only 2GB Ram
They do not have video cards as well, and are using the Intel chip video.
They will still run Mach4.
The question is will they run very large G-Code files like in 3D engravings with Million plus lines.
I am still waiting for Mach4 to get some fixes before convert the wiring on our mill to our new controller, we can then test large 4 axis simultaneous files.
Currently without a controller connected (simulation mode) it seems to run large files with CPU from 30% to 50% on these old PC's.
On Mach3 these G-Code files work OK on these machines. (the only issue was you could not display the tool path on the screen).
Mach4 does not yet have any toolpaths on 4/5/6 axis yet, but this would have to be able to be switched off when it is implemented.
With so many machines out there, testing is the only solution to you question.
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 12:31:12 AM »
I checked the XT PC which has 2GB Ram and Dual Processor Pentium.
Loading a 91 meg G-Code File, it took awhile using 53 to 65% CPU, however after the file was loaded 4Axis G-Code and run under Simulation it only used 0 to 1% CPU.
So this old XT PC is not an issue as the file has 5,249,274 Lines of G-Code in it this is larger the majority of Mach4 user will ever run.
I am not sure how it would run with a controller, but at this stage do not see an issue.

I also tried a 5Axis Simultaneous G-Code file and using the WX6 Screen, however after loading Mach4 came up with the following message "Vertex Buffer Objects requested but not available".
An incorrect picture appeared not representing the G-Code on the Screen.
The Mach4 would then not run nor close down so there are issues here.

The are many users out there that have XT PC's on there Mills and Router Tables that want this program Mach4 to fully function.
Also if it does work then I am sure there will be many new users with XT PC's wanting to use Mach4.

Regards,
Mauri.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »
Hi,
A XP Pro PC minimum specs MUST have OpenGL 1.5 or greater otherwise you will get the following message with Mach4.
“Vertex Buffer Objects requested but not available”
This is related to Toolpath screen display on Mach4.
Regards,
Mauri