Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:59:57 AM

Author Topic: HiCON Integra - MACH4 - Servo Spindle - Assigns spindle as slave  (Read 5869 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
HiCON Integra, new with latest (2.72) firmware. Mach4 2580 (Plug-in Target) Latest Plug-in 1.08.13b

Configuration: All step/dir source is MACHxx

Motors 0 the 3 assigned to X,Y,Z,A   No encoder feedback

motor 4 assigned to spindle  -  encoder feedback on 4

Problem: Motor 4 gets randomly assigned as a slave to the 'X' axis. Attempting to delete it results in a wxLUA error referencing trying to delete an 'inexistent device' (or something to that effect).

Running the spindle results in what I assume to be a Plug-In error message (the source is not identified in the message) that states Motor 4 is disabled due to following error.

After this error, a check of the HiCON diagnostic shows 0 feedback and StepGen and very high (as would be expected) Command Pos and matching Following Error

Checking the MACH4 config after this message invariable shows Motor4 assigned as a slave on the 'X' axis. Motor4 is still shown as the spindle motor.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:00:07 PM by Vital System Support »

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: HiCON Integra - MACH4 - Servo Spindle - Assigns spindle as slave
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Update:

Mach4 V2 2630 exhibited no movement at all. No jog, no MDI and would not run G-code

Mach4 V2 2651:

Jogging is working

MDI is working

G-code is running (better than ever - not hanging on spindle codes and so on)

The BONUS plan:

'M' codes for spindle codes seem to be working now.

The arbitrary re-assignment of servo spindle motor to slave on axis 0 is not happening in bench testing. I have not put this new setup on an actual machine with encoder feedback from the spindle motor.

If any of this changes, I will post another update.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
Simpson36,
HiCON Integra has new Firmware 3.03 and Plugin (21 Aug 2015).
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »

Spoke too soon.

Newest firmware and plugin from 08/21

Servo motor assigned as spindle. Mach4 starts fine and MACH config mapping shows 4 axis motors and one spindle motor

Run any G-code

Rechech mach config - mapping now shows motor4 slaved to axis 0 (X axis)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
Hello simpson26,

I believe that I had received your email regarding this question, and I wanted to follow up on it.

With a 0-10V spindle, no motor is used since it purely relies on the 0-10V Analog Output.

With a GCode Axis Spindle, it must use one of the motors and must also be mapped to one of the Mach4 axes in order to respond to GCode commands. One issue I’ve seen with slaving motors in the axis mapping config, is that the config may not be properly applied unless you click “APPLY” in the Mach4 window.

The way the GCode Axis Spindle works is that it must originally be mapped to a Mach4 axis when GCode commands are issued to the motor. However, when a spindle command (M3, M4) is issued, it is “unmapped” temporarily to remove it from Mach4’s attention. When an M5 command (or spindle stop) command is received, it is then remapped to its axis so it can receive GCode commands again. That being said, do you issue an M5 before the end of your file to stop the spindle?

Based upon your previous posts, are you trying to use a GCode Axis spindle without having it mapped to an axis in Mach4?

-Marc
Vital System Inc.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »
Thanks for the response,

Entering 0-10v was just for testing and is not needed.

The motors are all mapped in MACH4 and the highest numbered motor (tried both 4 and 5) are assigned as the spindle in the MACH4 mapping and also from the spindle tab.

The HiCON plug-in is then configured with all motors as Machxx and stepper input. The feed back is left unconfigured

On entry to MACH4 the mapping is correct and the plug in has all of the same settings.

New information: As soon as MACH4 is enabled and disabled again, the mapping is changed to have the spindle  motor assigned as a slave to the first axis. It remains the spindle motor also.
i.e. the motor is remapped immediately and running g-code or any spindle entry in the MDI is not needed. Just clicking the enable button on and off causes the problem.
In case the 64 bit Windows was an issue, I just dis a fresh install of Mach4 v2 2651 and updated the firmware to 3.03 and installed the newest plug-in and configured MACH4 from scratch as described.

As soon as MACH is enabled, the spindle motor is mapped as a slave to the first axis. The .ini file is also updated to show the slave on axis 0

As I read the last line of your post, are you saying that the spindle motor must be assigned as an AXIS as well as the spindle? I only have it mapped to the spindle.

Thanks.

- Steve

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:40:48 PM by simpson36 »
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »
Hello Steve,

Yes, I think I can see what the problem is now since we always intended the GCode Spindle to be mapped to an axis. I can make a fix so that the axis mapping/remapping doesn't occur unintentionally if an axis was never originally specified. In the meantime, try mapping the spindle motor to an unused axis like say Axis C and see if that resolves the issue (just so I can verify that this is indeed the problem). I'll post an update if a fix is made, and I'll send you a notification as well.

-Marc Lim
Vital System Inc.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
Marc,

Mapping the spindle motor to a 'lettered' axis seems to have solved the problem. It was not clear to me from the manual that this was the correct config and it just never occurred to me to map.

Probably I tried everything possible except that . .  LOL!  (glad I can laugh about it now).

This still leaves one question unanswered and to keep things a bit organized, I will post that to the other thread.

I think I am good to go. Thanks so much!

- Steve