Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:03:02 AM

Author Topic: CMPIO/IP-S with MACH4 - new plug-in released - Servo Spindle still broken?  (Read 5489 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
I posted this a couple days ago in the MACH4 section and got 80 reads but no responses. From that, I gather that there is a lot of interest, but nobody is actually using this controller with MACH4 yet. So I am posting here in hopes of a better response.

This question was asked of CS Labs tech support an a few days have passed with no response. Unimpressive tech support, so far.

I am doing the first of several upgrades to MACH4 and replacing K-flop controllers with the CSMIO/IP-S Ethernet controller. I was warned that the MACH4 plug In was problematic as relates to a servo driven spindle, so I was prepared for that and created a work around and reported the issue to the MACH people because it "seems' to me to be a MACH4 problem. MACH3 looks like it works fine, as expected.

The logic in selecting the CSMIO is that it is widely reported to be bulletproof with MACH3, so that provides a 'back up' plan in the event MACH4 proves to be unuseable. I looked at Vital Systems, but the cost (with all of the needed ala carte add-ons) is hard to justify. However, at this point, if the lack of support from CS Labs continued, I will return this first unit and go with Vital Systems despite the cost. Fighting with problematic equipment with no support from the manuf. is also a cost associated with any device, so the $700 CSMIO is getting more expensive by the day.

A few days ago CS-Labs released a new plug-in for MACH4 and specifically called out this issue and said it was corrected. However, so far I can not get the Servo driven spindle to work AT ALL.

I have reported this to CS-labs and hopefully they will be responsive and produce some kind of installation document. I was surprised to find none available (unless I am looking in the wrong places).

The previous plug-in is functional (with a work around for the spindle issue) and of course the option is always there to rewind all the way back to MACH3, so it's not a critical issue, but I would imagine a lot of MACH4 fans will be interested in the solution.

CS labs claim to have tested the plug-in with MACH4 v 2580, so I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong. So, does anyone know how to correctly configure a servo drive as the spindle in MACH4
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:09:02 PM by simpson36 »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Please keep us posted on your CS Labs experience.
Like you, I feel that it should be the best option for Mach4.

I was under the impression that Artsoft would be certifying Mach4 plugins, so that Mach4 would operate consistently across different hardware platforms, and that you could count on a reliable product regardless of which controller you chose.

Unfortunately, it appears that it's still the crapshoot that it was with Mach3.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
I don't have the controller installed on a machine yet because ultimately I may want to return it, but I have a scope on the differential outputs and I can see a clean square wave coming off each axis, so I'm not worried about that so much. With rewritten M3, M4, M5 and the script for the screen spindle ON button, I have reliable signals coming off the 'Spindle' axis and speed changes via G-code 'S' seem to be working correctly with the previous (.602) plug-in.

This fix does not work with the new plug-in and I am not inclined to spend any more time on this issue.

So, in fact, I HAVE a working MACH4 setup with this device. The thing looks fantastic, very high quality and it has great specs and an array of features for industrial drives. My concern is that they take 8 months to release a new plug-in that claims to solve a long standing problem when in fact it is made worse. Combine that with unresponsive tech support and it does not bode well for the long term.

Current Status: I have sent an e-mail to Automation Technologies (USA distributor that I purchased the CSMIO from) that included the a copy of the e-mail that I previously sent to CS Labs and asked for either an answer, or instructions on how to return the device. I also asked if they sell the Vital Systems product or have any specific recommendations for an Ethernet Motion controller for MACH4 that is designed for industrial drives.

I will post back whatever the result is.

Meanwhile, has anybody been successful with the new plug on and/or does anyone have configuration instructions for MACH4 with this controller?

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
 After writing to the Distributor, who then also asked CS-Labs to answer, I received the following official position from CS Labs:

CS-Lab.eu 

Attachments3:54 AM (1 hour ago)

to steve, Automationtech.

Dear sir,

1) There is no such a document as Mach4 isn't ready yet nd is still under construction as well as CSMIO plugin for it.

2) Because of what I have written above there is no full support for Mach4.

We do not recommend  retrofits using Mach4 as there are many functions still not supportet or not working as they finally should.

We still recommend to use Mach3 if you don't want to wait and necessarily want to use Mach4 then use some other company motion controller.

3) Please go to terms and conditions http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/upload/pdf/Terms%20and%20conditions.pdf

4) We do not know Vital System products to well.

Regards

Wojtek Trawicki

CS-Lab s.c.

J.Wawak, A. Rogożynski, S. Paprocki

--------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
That explains why it was almost 8 months since their last plugin.

They're not the first motion controller vendor to not want to jump on the Mach4 bandwagon yet. Most Mach3 users don't either.

If Brian wants Mach4 to succeed, he either needs to get these people on board 100%, or start writing plugins himself.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Their last plug-in was a couple of weeks ago.  I made work arounds for the main problem with the previous plug-in, but they don't work with the new plug-in and I am not inclined to spend time making another work around.

I could move forward with the earlier plug-in that I patched, but I don't care for CS Lab's attitude frankly. Imagining trying to get help from them down the road once I have these things installed in customer's machines is just not palatable, so I'm bailing now before I get any deeper into it.

While I wait to hear if Automation Technologies will take it back and refund, I have the thing listed here in the bargain basement. Great deal for anyone using MACH3 or who doesn't mind using a patched up plug-in for MACH4 while waiting however long for CS Labs to come around.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Another tid-bit, this time regarding the product return. Apparently it was my fault for not reading available information prior to purchase.

The previous communication from CS Labs stated that there is NO documentation on MACH4, their site says nothing except that the plug in is available, there is nothing in their FAQ about mMACH4 at all. Newfangled simply lists it among the other "great motion control boards" specifically for MACH4.

The 'Don't use this with MACH4' warning is part of the post sales support . . . I suppose.

to Automationtech., me

Dear sir,

I think your customer didn't read information about Mach4 as well as about CSMIO plugin for Mach4 before he bought the products.

Please inform if you want to return the product or keep it for further sale after you verify it's ok.

For us it's not a problem. It's our second return ever.

Best regards,

Aneta Rapacka Zachara

Marketing&Sales Manager

CS-Lab s.c. Poland

J.Wawak, A. Rogozynski, S. Paprocki