Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:09:53 AM

Author Topic: Galil / Mach3 communications  (Read 4385 times)

Galil / Mach3 communications
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »
I'm currently working on a milling machine project that is using Mach3 /Galil 4080.  This mill has a tool changer and I will be writing the DMC code to operate the TC.  I need to be able to run the TC program on command from Mach3, then notify Mach3 that the tool change is complete and it's OK to proceed.

The questions:

What does the Mach3 TC command to Galil look like?
Is it customizable?
How do I send a message back to Mach3?
Is there a listing of the messages that are generally passed between Mach3 and Gaili in normal operation?

I have over 20 years experience working with Galil hardware and DMC programming, but minimal experience with Mach3.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jim
Controls Engineer
Machinist
Machine Design/Build
Re: Galil / Mach3 communications
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 01:19:08 AM »
Hi Jim;
   I am working on updating a mach3 parallel port control on an ANS Shizuoka mill. It has a summit quickdraw toolchanger. I have the mechanicals now repaired and have started on the control. I have had only minimal success (read has not blown up) using a vb script in the M6Start macro to output signals which close relays that then send signals back to the quickdraw toolchanger. Each relay controls a function of the tool changer, tool in, tool out, turret rotate, etc. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to get Mach to read the 100 msec contact closure which the tool changer needs to go on to the next operation. 

The M6Start script I used is based on the one I used for my late turret control. It is similar to the various M6Start macros posted on the Mach suport forums.  I am sure there are far more elegant ways to do the toolchanger especially with the Galil control.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you with your machine. I would also like to get mine to work when you do get it figured out. I have all the mechanical and electronic schematics if that would be of any help.  Let me know and I can scan and post if need be.

Oh yes, I am also trying to upgrade from a parallel port of Mach3 to a Galil 2183 control so I can at some point use a stepper motor to control the turret rotation as an axis in Mach.

Jim Stein
Re: Galil / Mach3 communications
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:23:23 AM »
Hi Jim,

That's interesting, that is exactly the mill I'm working on.  It's a small world. And I built a new gear box with a stepper drive to drive the chain.  I looked at the original TC controls and decided that it was a nightmare.  I just ripped out all of the original control box & wiring and half of the valves, then wired everything into the Galil 4080 controller.  All of the hardware works under manual control, but I have not written the Galil program yet, that's the next phase of the project.  So in my case all I need is a signal from Mach3 that gives me the tool number and says ''change the tool''  then I'll fire back a ''tool is changed'' signal to Mach3.

If you want drawings of the gear box I'll be happy to post them, or send them to you.

(I hope it's OK to post a link here  ???)
You can see the build at http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shizouka-an-s-build.33868/

Jim

Controls Engineer
Machinist
Machine Design/Build