Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:35:47 AM

Author Topic: CNC lathe  (Read 13067 times)

CNC lathe
« on: April 28, 2007, 10:29:21 AM »
I am interested in buying a tabletop cnc lathe with a linear encoder.  I would prefer to buy it as a complete system I really do not have the time to build one myself.

Any suggestions on which to get?

Thanks

Dan.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: CNC lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:02:56 PM »
Hi, Dfurlano

Most of the Lathes out there, " I now of " need some conversion or interface work.

I'm sure others will post more info for you.

Just a start Hear, Chip
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:17:12 AM »
Hi dfurlano,  take a look at http://syilamerica.com/.  They have a new benchtop lathe that looks very nice, at a very good price of $3499.

Roberto
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »
The Syil lathe looks good and has an encoder.  I guess the one negative is that I would be one of the first people to own one. I would much more prefer something that I could find others have used so that when I run into issues there is someone else to ask.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 10:17:54 AM »
MDA Precision sells benchtop Wabeco lathes that have been fitted for CNC - not cheap, though.

Mike
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 11:03:40 AM »
 Hi dfurlano,  I know what you mean about being one of the first, but I have decided to do it and have one on order.  The lathes have arrived in LA and so hopefully I should get mine in a short time.  I talked to Richard Lowe at Sylamerica a number of times and have been very impressed with him.  He said the Chinese company that makes the lathe is very dedicated to put out a quality lathe.  He has run one and was impressed. I will keep you informed after I play with mine a little and let you know what I think about it.

Robert

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »
The Syil lathe, I looked at the pics, not all that impressed. The X axis stepper motor is just hanging out in mid air, and I mean WAY out there, they say about covering the steppers to protect them from "Fritters". I imagine they mean chips, yet the Z axis ballscrew is completely exposed to chips. It can't be running in closed loop, very few do. Steppers look like they might be sized right.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 12:18:14 PM »
Ok DALgie, tell me what you are impressed with?  I want a small tabletop system.  Every system has issues the question is which ones are worth buying and which are not.

MaxNC seems to have design issues that everyone complains about.

MicroKinetics is a proprietary system that only allows you to use their software.

Most of the Sherline companies do not have encoders on the spindle, although it can be added I am back to trying to figuring out how it gets integrated into the package. Most of the companies don't care or don't know how to get it done. Additionally I have heard they are have a lot of backlash out of the box.

I don't have the time or desire to buy a lathe and convert it myself, I did that with my mill. 

After that you are into a $5k system which is way beyond what I want or need. 

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 12:19:27 PM »
Reberto,

I would really like to hear about your experience with the lathe.  Please keep us posted.

Dan.

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »
Understand about not having the time to convert a lathe over to CNC control. Maybe then it comes down to improving the thing as you go, make a sheetmetal cover for the ballscrew, remount the X axis motor when you have time, etc. As Dan said, I would also like to hear about your experiences with this lathe, keep us posted please.
                                  DaveA.