Hello Guest it is July 18, 2019, 03:32:28 AM

Author Topic: Free G76 Macro Helping program for Mach3 Turn  (Read 26803 times)

Re: Free G76 Macro Helping program for Mach3 Turn
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
I had a special request and because of that, I tackled the quest of threading trapezoid or rectangular threads. For this, in most cases multiple Z passes per depth have to be cut. This could only be done by a total rework of the M1076.m1s macro, but after 40 hours of programming, the rectangular threads are working already. I still have to do some bugfixing for the trapezoid threads and after that, I have to extend my Helper program to generate the code for ACME and Tr threads. So, this functionality is coming soon if I can make the time. Even with a careful approximation, I'll need 200 more hours of programming for that.

See the attached picture: A rectangular thread with 2.5 mm groove width, cut with an 1.5 mm tool, additionally in a tapered version.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:07:00 PM by stephanbrunker »

Offline Rimmel

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 06:12:57 AM »
Stopped using program ages ago, for most instances it's too complicated for general use, I spent more time messing about with the tip radius setting than anything else (not actually using  the setting just trying to get numbers that worked in it for different threads). 
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:35 AM »
Too complicated for general use …

You can use it or not … unfortunately, threads are really complicated and my approach is a very much simplified one. I didn't make all the norms about tolerances and thread profiles and allowed tip forms but tried to make it as simple as possible. Of course, you can ignore that and calculate everything per hand - which is even more complicated. Or you can cut and try until both pieces fit together. Everyone should do what he likes most.

Just now, I read an old article that the seemingly straight flanks of threads aren't really straight because the pitch angle of a thread has an influence and that angle is different on the outer and inner diameters, especially for large pitches relative to the diameters (e.g. multi-pitch-threads) . To do it perfectly, you'd need a precision grinded tool for every diameter / pitch combination …

For example, I added an calculator to make a three-wire-measurement of the flank diameter. That one is much simplified, because other calculators want an input for the deforming of the wires because of the measurement force and that small error because of the pitch angle. I ignored all that because these factors are in the range of only few 1/100 mm and less and I didn't expect to be so precise. But basically, that approach is wrong ...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:37:10 AM by stephanbrunker »
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 11:19:31 PM »
If any one is following this thread I could use some help.  New to the cnc game and just got mach 3.  Will be doing some simple threading and ran accross this thread.  I down loaded the zip file and pasted into mach 3 on the hard drive.  I can not seem to get it to come up in mach 3 turn.  Also can not get g76 to come up anywhere.  Thought I would try this and the wizard that is on the mach 3 turn. 

Thanks Tom
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2019, 06:54:03 AM »
There should be a m1076.m1s file in the /mach3/ main directory, while all the other macros are in the /mach3/macros/%yourprofile% subfolder. Just replace that macro and the g76 command should work. All I did was to improve that file.

I also just published a hotfix for that macro at 
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mach3threadinghelper/files/
because there was a nasty sign error which resulted in a wrong Z Start value.

This version of the macro also contains an extension for trapezoid threads like Tr or ACME or threads with flank angle 0° like in the attached picture which need multiple passes per increment in X. I did that because of an request for these threads by someone. Said someone also said he would sponsor that development, but he bailed after I put more than 40 hours into that code and he got the result. Because he switched to Mach4, I also rewrote the macro into a code generator for Mach4.

To fully utilize the possibilities of that macro, the GUI has to be extended as well to generate the code for that extension for a lot of Tr.. or ACME threads. But so far, I never got any positive reviews of my work which tells me that seemingly nobody needs that piece of software. Because I don't need that functionality for myself and as Jack-of-all-Trades I have more than enough projects to work on, I am reluctant to put the needed (likewise 40-100) hours into that project. I will happily work for free, but only if it gets a reasonable number of users.