Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 06:18:33 AM

Author Topic: Total Novice who stupidly bought a cnc3020T-DJ thinking she could figure it out!  (Read 4197 times)

Can someone PLEASE help me. I run a wedding venue accessories business and have been paying someone else to make small signs for venue's etc at quite a cost to me, so i stupidly thought i could teach myself to use a CNC 3020T-DJ (PLEASE DON'T LAUGH). Anyway i have managed to set it up, i have it moving, but i'm struggling with setting Home/soft limits, i have listened to you tube videos and i don't understand a bloody word, can someone please tell me in English with no fancy jargon ;) so i can prove to my family that maybe i'm not a total idiot after all. Thank you for even bothering to listen to this woman who is just about to throw it out of the window x

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
You can learn to use it, but, you need to learn a few things about CNC.
It's not plug and play..........could be rather simple or complex.
Only you can decide how how far you want to go based on what you want to do now and maybe in the future.
CNC has words that would be un-common to a non user so let not your heart be troubled about it as you just need
some understanding on basics.

I'll post something that should help in the understanding.

RICH

Did you get a manual or something for that machine and if you did can you post it?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Hope the attached helps some.

RICH
I bought the same, but a  3040T-DJ.  I am convinced that there must be some software that makes the G codes from a drawing and will make the machine work as we expect.
The parallel port requirement is a bit of a problem.  I have a Windows XP computer which allows Mach3 to control the machine with manual or with demo G code files.
Now all I need is a drawing and g code generator in a program to proceed.  Probably have to run in XP.  If you find one or progress to making yours do what you want, I would be interested in anything useful that you learn.  Thanks and good luck.
I think success is failing and failing and not giving up. 

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
look up CAD

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Vectric dot com. Great software makes anyone a pro!!!!!!
olf20 / Bob
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
I second that olf20 been using it for years.

Free demo software.

Ray
Thanks for the replies, I've looked up Vetric but not sure what course name to key in. I have also contacted a local firm that has CNC machines in the hope they can give me a little lesson, they said to pop in so hopefully they can help me. I was hoping that someone on here who also had the same machine could take a photo of their home/soft limit page so I could see how they have it set up to start with if that makes sense! Anyway thanks again
There are two things you need to learn, the first is the mechanics and use of your machine, and the other is your programming software.
I assume your using mach3, you'll have to figure out how to jog, set axis values to zero, load and rewind g-code, and you have to learn the capabilities of the machine, what bit do you use for what material, what are the spindle and travel speeds? Hoe deep can you cut in one pass,
I also bought a cheap chinese 3040, the first thing was to replace the wimpy spindle motor. I bought artcam express, for $150 it does everything you need. Highly recommended.
With this machine I have done some nice v-bit carving in pine and maple and high density urethane, as well as some 3d reliefs.

F-engrave is freeware and is good for v-carving or engraving lettering, you can also v-carve bitmaps.
look up CAD

Or possibly CAM?

CAD is used to create the drawing or solid model,

CAM is used to generate G-Code from a drawing or solid model