Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:31:10 PM

Author Topic: Step pins being changed by Mach3, motors stop  (Read 2858 times)

Step pins being changed by Mach3, motors stop
« on: June 29, 2015, 05:01:30 PM »
Hi,

I have mach3 tied to a bladerunner system (trying) to control my plasma machine. I set the STEP pins in the Pins and Ports menu, jog the machine for about 30 seconds, and then (usually) the x axis stops working. Go back to the Pins and ports menu > motor outputs and the step pin for whatever motor is not working (usually the x) is changed to a random number. In most cases it is 0, but at times all of the motors change and the machine stops responding.

The machine is a Dell Optiplex 780 connected to the bladerunner via LPT1 and onboard serial.  I was running on windows xp 32 bit, sp3, I tried switching to Win 7, the problem persisted.

Any ideas?
Re: Step pins being changed by Mach3, motors stop
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
I would take down all your xml/Mach3 settings, then copy your old XML file somewhere else and remake it.

Wes
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:15:04 PM »
I'll try it tomorrow. The xml file is provided by the manufacturer of the plasma system. I made the file read only, and nothing changed. In fact, the settings in the file do not match the settings in mach 3 for the pins, which I thought was odd. What is being put into the fields when it messes up does not match what is in the xml file either though.

I contacted the manufacturer of the system, and the tech guy said it was the first time in 6000 machines he has heard of the problem. It's very frustrating.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:17:50 PM by tbaggins »
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
Installed on a new computer, the only piece of hardware that was the same was the monitor and the bladerunner, still having the same problem. I can disconnect the parallel and serial cables from the controller and MACH 3 still changes the pins on its own, so I am pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the hardware.

I rebuilt the XML file, no luck. I have tried both EPP and ECP for the parallel settings in the BIOS, still having the issue.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
You MAY want to have your License file looked at it may be corrupted.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »
who would I send it to? Online tech support is not working at the moment...

I could rule that out by installing a fresh copy of mach3 and then just leaving it in demo mode and seeing if the pins change.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:12:25 PM by tbaggins »
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
You were correct I think. I tried a third computer today and left it in demo mode. It worked without changing the pins for over 30 minutes. As soon as I installed the license file, within 1 minute the pins were changing. I removed the license file, and it is working again. Thank you for the help, I will get a new license from the plasma dealer and see if that helps.