Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:34:06 PM

Author Topic: LIMIT SWITCH CABLE  (Read 3175 times)

LIMIT SWITCH CABLE
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:49:43 AM »
Hi ALL
What is the best spec fot thin single core screened cable for limit switches, is it Audio??
Graham

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: LIMIT SWITCH CABLE
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:29:21 AM »
Graham,
Don't have a  specific spec, but, you should be using a cable which has 100 % shielding.
IE; The cable will be composed of the insulated core wire, and a foil wrapper completely around the core insulation. There will be a separate
grounding wire and probably / maybe  a wire mesh wrapped around everything, and finally the outside insulation.

RICH 

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:20:05 AM »
the better the shielding the less chance of problems that look`s ok I use heavy duty audio cable 2 core copper wire wrap and the core wires are twisted. and make sure it`s single ended shielding

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:23:41 AM »
Should be ok.

RICH
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
Thanks Rich and Daniellyall for your help
Was using TV aerial but it is too big and not flexible enough.
Graham
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »
It might be worth noting that of particular importance besides the type of noise generating sources and their distances to other signal carrying wires is the lengths of say, the limit switch wires from switch back to the controller, whether they are stranded or solid wires and their number of twists per inch per pair.  Twisted pair conductors also offer good noise rejection. e.g. Ethernet twisted pair cables.
I've used unshielded, stranded, twisted-pair Ethernet cables for my limit switch connectivity with zero problems for years.  These types of cables are very flexible as well.

However, the longer the run of wire length of low-voltage cables in close proximity to high-voltage or high current pulse signals cables the greater the need for well shielded cables.
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else