Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:08:23 AM

Author Topic: USB to Serial  (Read 3756 times)

USB to Serial
« on: June 18, 2015, 05:01:51 PM »
My old computer with a 25 pin Serial port crashed.
My "New" pc don`t have this port. Only USB. My breakoutboard has the 25 pin Serial so I bought a adapter USB to 9-pin to 25 pin and hoped this would solve my problem.
I installed the driver, but I can`t get my mill to life.
Can someone guide me through Mach3 settings to set up my New cable?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: USB to Serial
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »
You need to use an external motion controller if you don't have a PP.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:41:48 AM »
I have mill that have worked fine through 8 years. I connect the pc to my "electronic box" by a 25 pin serial cable. The serial cable i connected to the breakoutboard. From the breakoutboard it is connected three stepper motor drivers and then cable to the steppermotors.
This might be an old configuration, but i has worked fine.
What I need is to get the pc to "speek" to my "electrodnic box" . USB out and serial in. Is that possible with my old setup?
Do I need to buy a motion control board? Isn't that what I have in my box?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:11:53 AM »
I assume that your mill control box was connected to your PC with a 25 way parallel cable and Mach3 configured to use the parallel port. You were not using serial communication.

The USB / Parallel port adapters will not work and as Rich has suggested, you need to either get a PC which has the 25 way parallel port and use the setup as you did before or else purchase an external motion controller to use with either the USB or Ethernet port of your new PC.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
Ahhh. So there is no easy fix with the cable I have?  :(
Does the external motion controller replace my breakoutboard?
Do you connect the stepper controller to the external motion controller or do you connect the stepper motors directly to the external motion controller?
Is the external motion controller an all-in-one controller?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:45:14 AM »
There are a number of different external motion controllers and this is just one of those available http://www.warp9td.com/

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 06:41:28 PM »
I solved the problem by buying a pci paralell port card for the pc. Then I can use my old cable with 25 pins. A $30 fix :)