Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:26:48 AM

Author Topic: Need to get this Emco finished.. HELP  (Read 2366 times)

Need to get this Emco finished.. HELP
« on: June 14, 2015, 06:15:20 AM »
Hello folks. For the last year or so I have been converting a Emco Compact 5 MK1 to run on Mach 3 Software. I basically removed all the original steppers and control boards and built up a new unit using a kit from 'CNC 4 U'. I know probably not the best quality stuff but for what I'm doing it should be fine. http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/CNC-Kits/Stepper-Motor-Kits/Nema23-Stepper-Motor-Kit-4Nm-x-3-Axis

I got that up and running fairly easily getting both axis moving using the trial version of Mach 3.

Then it came to the spindle, which is where I am now stuck. I would like to control the spindle using Mach 3. The original Emco motor is an odd voltage so I am going to swap it out and use a motor I have from a college project: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37213__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_6374_149kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=149kv I will run this with a 24v power supply.

My first question is how do I get the breakout board connected with the motor? From what I can gather reading other topics its to do with PWM. What components do I need and how do I connect them up to get the computer to run the spindle.

The next issue is once I have got the spindle sorted, how do I wire in the spindle rotary encoder. The lathe has the original encoder still attached, can I use this or do I need to swap it out for something more compatible?

Hopefully if someone can help me out with this lot then I can have my lathe up and running soon. Many thanks in advance.

Another little niggle is that there are no limit switches on the machine. Are these required or is there a setting in Mach3 to stop the axis when it has reached the end of its travel?

Many thanks,

Peter

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Need to get this Emco finished.. HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:39:07 AM »
Another little niggle is that there are no limit switches on the machine.
Are these required or is there a setting in Mach3 to stop the axis when it has reached the end of its travel?

Limit switches are not required although they are usefull for setting axis location and limiting travel.
You can use SOFT LIMITS to limit axis travel but it is not hard wired and relies on the software.

RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Need to get this Emco finished.. HELP
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
For the Motor you WILL need a speed controller that can use either Step/Direction or PWM  OR you can add another board and do 0-10v to drive the controller. As to the encoder NO it will not work you will need a single pulse and I would make it 50% on/off duration for each rev to give Mach3 time to see the signal at speed.

You can USE soft limits BUT you will have to manually set the Home Position every time you start up Mach3.  Easy to do just bump the face of the chuck and set Z home  and the side of the chuck to set X home offset.

Just a thought, (;-) TP