Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:46:26 AM

Author Topic: Coffee Talk: Is Smurph to Mach 4 as Peter Smid is to Fanuc?  (Read 4165 times)

Talk amongs't yourselfs...(that's my best Dana Carvey impression from Saturday Night Live)

I'm just the apprentice, but wow...the information in these threads is freakin great! Where has YaNvrNo been? Is he ok? I picked up a book on Fanuc macros to help me better understand gCode macros and such to integrate them with Lua; or vice versa. I'm talking from a teacher standpoint of course. Poppabear, Brett,  Terry, Brian, and the like. Hat's off to y'all.

Here's a conversation piece for y'all...

Is Lua to be integrated with Fanuc or vice versa?

peanut gallery comment: The ability to integrate both for automation and in a user defined gui environment has awesome potential. Top it off with today's microcontrollers; we will be controlling mills that make mills...that make tools accurately, reliably, and efficiently. Weapon system acquisition! Let's give Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, and Boeing some competition! ...hey, I can dream a little...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:25:51 AM by Screwie Louie »
Re: Coffee Talk: Is Smurph to Mach 4 as Peter Smid is to Fanuc?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 02:14:14 AM »
ooohhh....can we ask Mach 4 to be bidirectional? as in having...both subtractive AND additive manufacturing capabilities? Yah, I'll throw that in the features request thread. lol!

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:05:31 AM »
YaNvrNo is still around

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
ooohhh....can we ask Mach 4 to be bidirectional? as in having...both subtractive AND additive manufacturing capabilities? Yah, I'll throw that in the features request thread. lol!

Mach4 (and any other control) just does what you (and the G code) tell it to do.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »
Haven't got into the 3D printing realm yet so I wasn't sure what it entails as in just hit "print"... by the nature of my job, I know that additive manufacturing is a hot topic (ie for shipbuilding and repair) as I just heard the words out of Frank Kendall's mouth (USD AT&L, look him up). Specifically, metals not plastics. There is a program out west that is in R&D. I believe some experimentation has had success using very very soft metals. I heard of a term called "contour crafting". (automated placement of a hose that dispenses concrete for construction purposes)...I was just trying blend Mach4 into the ability to incorporate into such projects. Yep, you are right. Just use Gcode and Mach4 is good at that :)

key words: R&D, prototyping, DARPA, program management, small business administration, "other transaction authority", federal acquisition regulation, gov contracting, FedBizOPPS -just trying to setup my future and thanx to Mach4 and everyone here, I may of just found it.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:32:32 PM »
We already did this with Mach4!!

This is a link with some machine photos.
http://www.optomec.com/whats-next-in-additive-manufacturing/

Andrew with MachMotion
Andrew
MachMotion

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:32:12 PM »
Nice Work!

Scott
fun times
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 06:04:13 AM »
Exactly! Thanx Andrew for showing the snippet of the technical demonstration. Do you somehow use thermite to adhere the powder steel mixture or just direct heat from the laser? just curious...I want to to come work for guys! I'd definitely get out of bed at 5 am for that, lol ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:18:33 AM by Screwie Louie »
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 04:40:47 PM »
Andrew...Lawrence Livermore National Labs was where testing is being done. The lab itself has a $1.5b operating budget. Don't know how much is in the additive manuf. product development program tho.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »
Screwie,

We did all the software on the Mach4 side and we did the retrofit for those machines, but the hardware and laser for the deposition came from Optomec.  You can read more about it at: http://www.optomec.com/whats-next-in-additive-manufacturing/

If your interested in working with us on a Mach4 CNC control for deposition give us a call!

Thanks,
Andrew with MachMotion
Andrew
MachMotion