Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:45:27 PM

Author Topic: Difference between Enable Pins and Output Pins?  (Read 9188 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Difference between Enable Pins and Output Pins?
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:58:22 PM »
Hi all

I am trying to put some safety interlocks into my system, which combines lathe and mill. Without some interlocks, eStop in mill mode briefly spins the lathe chuck - that can be a bit too exciting.

So my idea was to use Enable #1 to activate a relay between the spindle PS and the mill spindle, and to use Enable #2 to connect spindle PS and lathe chuck. There is a HARDWARE interlock preventing both from being activated together. That interlock works.

But what has me seriously confused is that it seems that Enable1 - 4 ALL activate when I hit Reset: the red LEDS on the diagnostic panel all turn on in sequence. That happens regardless of whether they are meant to be Active Hi or Lo. I can then DeActivateSignal(Enable1) and so on of course. However, Enable5 and Enable6 do not do this. I have not been able to figure out the difference yet.

Question: are these enables MEANT to go active on Reset? If so, they are obviously not what I want. I will have to use Output#1 etc instead.
I cannot find anything in the manuals about how either the Enable pins or the Output pins work or differ.

The alternative, of using the inversion of the Enable pins, is not good: that would enable things when eStop happens. Oops!

Cheers
Roger

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between Enable Pins and Output Pins?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 11:31:37 PM »
The enables SHOULD be

active on NORMAL
Inactive on Estop

Are you running everything under 1 profile/screenset  or seperate profiles/screensets ?

This aught to be interesting, (;-) TP

I just tested here and they work normal, active on normal and inactive on estop.  Set as active LOW
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:35:12 PM by BR549 »

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 12:04:29 AM »
Hi Terry
active on NORMAL
Inactive on Estop
Yes, I was getting around to that realisation.
I would love to know where this is spelled out in the docs though ... :-)

It is essentially a full-on 2-spindle machining centre. To switch from mill to lathe operation I kill and exit from Mach, then restart in the other mode. Given the different labels on the axes and the different spindles, anything else would be just a bit too
'interesting'.

Oh well, yet another small redesign of the interface ... What's a few gates between friends? :-)

Thanks
Roger

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 12:15:32 AM »
Hiya Roger it is on Page 378 3rd paragraph down  in the learn as you go manual.

I would have thought you could do it with a seperate PAGE for each function That way all the configs are held under one roof ??

Couple of flip flop relays to transfer control of the spindles.

HUMMMM,  that gives me something to work on (;-) .

(;-)TP

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:39:52 AM »
Hi Terry
it is on Page 378 3rd paragraph down  in the learn as you go manual.
Ah so.
Um - I don't seem to have a copy of that manual. Maybe that explains a few things? Help? Pretty please!

Yes, one could do it all under one roof, but the machine was delivered with the standard two versions of Mach (Mill and Lathe) and I have never bothered (like, never had the time) to change that. It works ... I do not want EVER to combine the operations!

From the spindle PS the two wires go to a Reversing relay. From there the two wires go to TWO double-pole Spindle relays. One drives the mill spindle, the other drives the lathe spindle. Only ONE of these two relays can be energised at any time: hardware logic gates do the lockout. If an eStop happens, both spindle relays will drop out.

So, when I fire up one of the systems, the first instruction is a macro call to enable the appropriate spindle relay. At the same time, the Config selects the appropriate input pin for the index pulse.

That's fine, but if I run an old program withoput the macro call, the spindle does not respond to an M3. All sorts of damage can ensue. So I am enhancing the M3 and M4 macros to first check the spindle power supply is ON, then check that the spindle enable relay is ON. If either test fails, the macro does a Pause, Stop, Rewind and ends.

The spindle PS has a mag trip on the input - a touchy beast which can drop out, so I have to check that first.

So I will have to change the pin definitions from Enable to output. Eh - not hard. If there is an eStop other safeties cut in anyhow - PWM stops immediately for instance, and the Enable on the Spindle PS drops out as well.

Cheers
Roger

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 12:41:03 AM »
Hi Roger,

Have a look in the General Config Tab. In the bottom left hand corner is a program safety input. This uses input #1. When this goes active Mach3 pauses the translation.

This my help in what you are trying to achieve?

Cheers,

Peter
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 01:27:57 AM »
Hi Peter

Yes, I knew about that use for Input #1, and had disabled it. It used to be linked to the front door ... right pain in practice, but good idea for school kids.

What I need is rather more complex. However, I can get most of what i want by changing the pin definitions. Instead of calling a pin 'Enable #1' I call it 'Output #5' (and Enable #2 => Output #6), and I don't need to even move a wire! I just have to put an opto-coupler from the spindle PS back to a BoB input.

I just need that huge 'learn as you go' manual Terry referred to. Um - I hope it exists ...

Cheers
Roger

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 12:31:23 PM »
HIYA ROGER the Manual does exist but it is NOT on printed or digital form. It is the SBF format (Standard Brainwave Format). You would need a universal crainial translator implant to be able to READ it. Then a 4 year degree in my crazy thinking methods to be able to understand it.

I was not advocating running a combined machine mill/turn even though it is done that way as well by a few users.

Hiya Peter, Do you still have all the parts for the hand pendant ? Can I buy them from you ? I would REALLY love to get it finished up and on the machine. I have an new extra MODIO board here I can use if needed. I have triesd to email you in the past but no luck. I think your PC doesn't like me and dumps me in the trash can.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:33:11 PM by BR549 »

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 05:16:33 AM »
Hi Terry

Now just lie down here while I put this totally harmless little skull cap on your head and hook it up to my data logger, and we shall see what a 1kV sinewave can elicit from all this ...

Cheers
Roger

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »
 ;D , (;-) TP