Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:17:13 AM

Author Topic: Any way to ignore spindle speed commands?  (Read 3265 times)

Any way to ignore spindle speed commands?
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »
So I've got an old Bridgeport BOSS 3 that's been converted to run under Mach.  I didn't do the conversion, I bought it already set up this way.  It runs very nicely, but there's one quirk that I don't really like, and that's the VFD.  The machine is set up so that if I set the Varidrive to 2000 RPM, the output from Mach to the VFD will have more or less the correct speeds ... but I don't get the same torque that I'd get if I just use the Varidrive.

What I've been doing is just putting values of S2000 in my programs (that gives me 60 Hz, more or less, at the VFD) and then using the Varidrive to control my actual spindle speed.  This is annoying because when I'm doing my CAM stuff (I use Autodesk Inventor HSM), I get screwy values for my SFM and chip load, plus I have to remember to manually set my speed to 2000 for every tool.  (Yes, I know I could just edit my tool library for the default value, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.)

So.

What I'd like to do is tell Mach 3 to just ignore the S command and just always give a command of 2000 RPM to the VFD.  Is there any convenient way to do this?  When I set the pulley max / min to 1999 and 2001, that doesn't seem to work - if it gets a command outside that range the spindle doesn't turn on.

Thanks in advance!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to ignore spindle speed commands?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:48:45 PM »
Just set up(program) your VFD to always use 60 hz and let Mach3 turn ON /OFF the drive .

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
Just set up(program) your VFD to always use 60 hz and let Mach3 turn ON /OFF the drive .

(;-) TP

Ideally I'm looking for something that's just within Mach itself ... if I have to reprogram the VFD, I will, but I'd prefer not to.  I was hoping there was just an option button somewhere that I had somehow missed ...

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:03:35 PM »
Seeing as no one knows exactly how your spindle is setup I do not have anything else to offer.

The only other option is to MOD your cam POST to only output S2000.

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
Seeing as no one knows exactly how your spindle is setup I do not have anything else to offer.

The only other option is to MOD your cam POST to only output S2000.

(;-) TP

Nothing in the hardware should matter for this - but it's a small Hitachi VFD feeding the stock Bridgeport 2hp motor then into the 2J Varidrive head.  Mach just sends PWM commands to the VFD.  I can reprogram it without much issue, I just don't feel like it ... but it looks like I'll need to.  Bleh ...

I was just hoping - vainly, it seems - that Mach could do it in software.  Read "M3 S1500" or whatever and ignore the S part, only ever sending the 2000 signal to the VFD.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »
no way to ingnore it.
but if you realy want this, macropump is your friend.

on e single line:

code "S2000"

will always "overwrite" teh spindle speed of GGode.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
Just a thought, but it may not be a great idea to continously write to the Gcode buffer in that manner ( ten times per sec).  Maybe Maybe not (;-)

I would write directly to the DRO and quaulify it so that IF it is already set to 2000 ignore the write.

If (DRO) <> 2000 then
    Write to the ( DRO,2000)
End if

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:32:26 AM »
Hi BR549,

Just a thought, but it may not be a great idea to continously write to the Gcode buffer in that manner ( ten times per sec).  Maybe Maybe not (;-)

I would write directly to the DRO and quaulify it so that IF it is already set to 2000 ignore the write.

If (DRO) <> 2000 then
    Write to the ( DRO,2000)
End if

thank you, did not think about this.

so the code would be:

If GetDRO(18) <> 2000 then
    SetDRO(18,2000)
End if

Thomas

anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.