Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:06:00 AM

Author Topic: Has anyone created any Mach4 screens so we can explore its abilities?  (Read 14254 times)

I apologise if I missed any, but I have been searching this forum and the website for any mach4 screens.
I believe that the future is with Mach4 (according to ArtSoft) and since I am evaluating Mach4 I cannot find any examples of either finished Mach4 screens or work in progress.
I am not just interested in aesthetics but functionality.
Eg
image backgrounds to tool paths
interactive programming screens
interacting with the file system from within screen to open gcode files at a press of a button or from a list.
Limited function screen for operators (with lockouts)
Mutually exclusive button selection with LED indicators
etc

If anyone is playing with Mach4 screens can they post or
if anyone knows of any published Mach4 screens can they direct me to them.

Thank you in advance for your help and time.
Regards
Alexander

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Mach4 is still pterry much at a beta level demo. There is much that a normal CNC machine has that has not been implemented in the demo.

image backgrounds to tool paths  ( nope)
interactive programming screens   ( They chose to use an OUTSIDE program Mach MILL WIZARD to do that not inside pages as everyone else does. You can create the pages with the Screen designer, LUA and scripting IF you really want them)

interacting with the file system from within screen to open gcode files at a press of a button or from a list.  ( You can do that from the run screen, load Gcode select file,cycle start. You can create your own function with Lua and scripting to do it any way you choose)

Limited function screen for operators (with lockouts)      ( you create them with screen designer and Lua scripting)

Mutually exclusive button selection with LED indicators    ( you create them with screen designer and Lua scripting)

Most things MACH4 seemed to be aimed at OEMs and them customizing it the way THEY need for their application. FOR the hobbiest you are pretty much on your own and they is very little documentation to support the customization of it AT THIS TIME.

BEING that Mach4 is designed to run an outside controller You the OP are dependant on the OEM to make them work as you need it OR do it yourself. 

But like I said it is basically still in beta form. The final form MAY or may not be different.

(;-) TP
thank you for your swift and detailed response.
It looks like I am going to have to learn LUA and scripting.

And since you did not mention anything regarding sample Mach4 screens, it looks like I will have to wait for some to be posted so I can learn from them.
thank you again for leading me in the right direction.
Alexander

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
I think everyone that has created screens is sitting on them waiting for someone else to post theirs FIRST (;-)

You do have the standard Demo screens. They will pretty much give you the lay of the land screen wise. 

(;-) TP

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
I think everyone that has created screens is sitting on them waiting for someone else to post theirs FIRST (;-)
correct

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
This is NOT a fully functional screen set just an example one of about 3 dozen I created to test layouts.

Just an example, (;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
My fear is that Mach4 screens will be specific to a user's particular setup and hardware, and will not be easy to share with others.
(Meaning that they'll be easy to share, but may not work for others)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Gerry , I can assure you that you are correct (;-)in your assumption. What I created for my application would never work in others applications. There is too much script specific programing needed to make it all work.

With Mach4 a lot of items I need were IF I need it I had to create it AND if I have to create it I will do it it MY WAY. (;-) That does not translate well to others machines.

Gotta love the Haas approach. Here is the stars and the moon and it all WORKS Make the best of it.  Yea buddy.

(;-) TP

Gerry , I can assure you that you are correct (;-)in your assumption. What I created for my application would never work in others applications. There is too much script specific programing needed to make it all work.

With Mach4 a lot of items I need were IF I need it I had to create it AND if I have to create it I will do it it MY WAY. (;-) That does not translate well to others machines.

Gotta love the Haas approach. Here is the stars and the moon and it all WORKS Make the best of it.  Yea buddy.

(;-) TP

Thank you for your screens.

At this point, even if your code will not work on someone else's machine we can review your code and its interaction with your screen to learn from your coding.
Eg. I would like to have some script that allows me to have mutually exclusive buttons (if you press one the others turn off) on the screen with LEDs.

If someone has already done this it would save me a lot of time.
Basically I am looking for code / script snippets that I can use on my screens / machine.
thanks
Alexander

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
I haven't done any work with Mach4 yet. I've been waiting for it to mature a bit more, and I need to know if it (and the motion controller that I choose) will work for me before I spend any money on it, as the motion controller I'm looking at is over $600.

If I do create any Mach4 screens, it looks like I'll need to provide samples for the specific hardware I'll be using, so that the end user can duplicate the actions on their hardware.

There are a lot of threads here with a lot of different examples, but you may need to spend a lot of time going through them all.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html