Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:25:52 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 & ESS Setup Problems -  (Read 7640 times)

Offline RCR Design

•  7 7
  • RCR Design
    • View Profile
Mach4 & ESS Setup Problems -
« on: May 15, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
I am trying setup Mach4, I have a 3 axis machine with the following hardware ESS,C25-Smooth Stepper Terminal Board, C41 Spindle Control(www.cnc4pc.com)and Taiwan Delta VFD-B frequency inverter, 4.5Kw Spindle.

I am able to move all axis, home the machine, and have hard & soft limit capabilities.

My issues are:

X & Y Axis home very slow .79IPM I have tried adj. the Home speed settings with no luck.

The spindle will not work using G Code (M3 S4500) via the MDI, but the spindle will turn on using the spindle forward button on Mach4 Panel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am almost there...

Thanks to some help from Warp9's forum -
http://warp9td.com/index.php/kunena/7-general-discussion/5291-mach4-ess-setup-problems?start=6

Hi everyone and thanks for your help...

Here is where I am at,
I was able to take care of the slow homing for X & Y Axis thanks to the video from www.youtube.com/channel/UCOy_xGRn5Uq3-u_LgNFzNNw DazTheGas.

As for my spindle, I removed the files M3, M4, M5 from the Macros folder and I was able to turn on the spindle via MDI (M3 S2500 but, no speed control.

I then set the configuration up with the help of daniellyall (thanks). However, I still do not have speed control or M4 (CCW). Maybe I am missing something in the ESS config? I have tried multiple selections with no luck.

Spindle works fine with Mach3 under PWM settings

I have provided two pics and a PDF of the wring from the inverter. Hoping this will help.

Thanks
RCR
Re: Mach4 & ESS Setup Problems -
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:55:47 PM »
Try setting the speed to something greater than 6000 RPM.  Many VFDs are programmed to not turn on if you request an RPM speed lower than their minimum.  Typically 6,000 RPM, or 8,000 RPM seem to be the limits on many spindles due to overheating.

Russ

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »
As for my spindle, I removed the files M3, M4, M5 from the Macros folder and I was able to turn on the spindle via MDI (M3 S2500 but, no speed control.
add a zero to what you have put in on motor speed page

I then set the configuration up with the help of daniellyall (thanks). However, I still do not have speed control or M4 (CCW). Maybe I am missing something in the ESS config? I have tried multiple selections with no luck.
you need to add a button to the screen the code is the same as for M3 you just change the 1 to -1

Spindle works fine with Mach3 under PWM settings

I have provided two pics and a PDF of the wring from the inverter. Hoping this will help.

Thanks
RCR
[/quote]
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 07:09:28 PM »
Did you set a min. and max spindle speed in the mach4 config spindle tab for the spindle speed range? not at my machine but I think there is like 19 or 20 gears or pulleys. at least one might have to be set with your min and max for pwm control.

Dave

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:35:05 PM »
he should of that's what I told him to do

Offline RCR Design

•  7 7
  • RCR Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
I have done all of the steps mentioned above and more, I just want to make sure we are on the same page...

I am able to get my spindle to turn on and run at max speed 24000, Status Bar Reads:(Spindle Speed Capped by Current range). But I cannot control RPM or M4.

Question- does the April 15th ESS plug-in work with PWM spindle control? using the C41 spindle control board? Because there is another post out there warp9td.com/index.php/kunena/7-general-d...-ess-and-pwm-spindle regarding the new plug-in.

If this does work, how is it configured?

Thanks

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »
change your speed table to 0 15000, 15000,20000, 20000,24000 if you have it like that what happens when you call M3 S 15000 or M3 S20000 or M3 S25000

Offline RCR Design

•  7 7
  • RCR Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »
The spindle turns on and runs at 24,000 rpm (no mater what speed I tell it).

Question - What should the I/O be set to in the ESS Plug-In(Ex.PINS 14, 16 = PWM, Spindle On)?
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 01:27:56 AM »
I had issues with my spindle barely working... it would start to turn then stop. The problem for me turned out to be a setting in the machine.ini file i had to change... PWM frequency i think it was... had to drop it from 1000 to 900. After doing that, my issue was solved. As for spindle settings in ESS, you only map spindle in Mach 4, PWM is set in the ESS Plug, but you dont set it in Mach 4. I have all of my settings written down at my shop and will look tomorrow and post... Yes, PWM is functional in the current ESS Plug in.  I fought with issues for weeks, but finally have them all working perfectly. Also "sometimes" after making setting changes you need to exit out of Mach 4 and restart it.

Offline RCR Design

•  7 7
  • RCR Design
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Hi,

Can someone elaborate on how to get the spindle speed to show up on the Mach4 interface.  I have complete control over my spindle, just cant get the interface to read the spindle speed.

I have the following hardware ESS,C25-Smooth Stepper Terminal Board, C41 Spindle Control(www.cnc4pc.com)and Taiwan Delta VFD-B frequency inverter, 4.5Kw Spindle.

Thanks