Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:12:40 PM

Author Topic: Running Haas code on Mach3 for a Collage project  (Read 6117 times)

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
Running Haas code on Mach3 for a Collage project
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
Hi

My son has a project from Collage that he can do on my mill running Mach3 because they only have the one Haas CNC mill and the whole class has to write and run their own code, because it's meant to be written and run on the Haas I was wondering if it would run on Mach3.

He's not written it yet but it's meant to make use of the canned cycles, now I suspect that these will not be compatible.

I've also already done the code using the NFS wizard to show him how I'd do it on my mill but this may not satisfy the assignment criteria (took all of 2 minutes)

The project is to do one side of a cube with circular pockets getting smaller and deeper, this would normally be repeated on all 6 sides and also have holes in the corners.
Is there a pocketing canned cycle in Mach that could be used so he's met the canned cycle criteria?
Just thought there is the drilling cycle so that could be used to drill the deep hole first.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I'm no Gcode wizard, I just get by using CAM and the supplied wizards with a little hand coding to fill in the gaps sometimes.

Regards
Steve

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Running Haas code on Mach3 for a Collage project
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 06:19:18 PM »
Steve,

whole class has to write and run their own code, because it's meant to be written and run on the Haas I was wondering if it would run on Mach3.

There is a difference in gcode and the only way to find the differences is to compare gcode of Haas to Mach. This also includes
the canned cycles as you will find that the coding is different or the cycle is not even supported.

RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
Most of the normal Haas Gcode will be compatible. Some of the Canned cycles will also be compatible.  BUT if the Test is about Haas and his writing of a program for a HAAS then he needs to do it all on a Haas.  Else he could get a lower grade for NOT complying with the test parameters.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 08:33:31 PM »
The one canned cycle that you really need, Circular pockets does not exist in mach3.

He could also download a back plotter and practice that way.  Also could be that Haas has a student version control simulator. They are pretty big in the school arena.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline bowber

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:50:25 AM »
The module is about Gcode and is not particular to the Haas, it's just the CNC mill they have is a Haas. his worksheet says to use canned cycles were appropriate and add comments to the code. He's been told he can use our mill to make the part as long as he videos the cutting and screen.
I'm sure the drill canned cycle will cover the part about canned cycles as Mach doesn't use G12 the same as the Haas, they also use K & Q (I think) to do pocketing, Mach just uses i to set the radius and doesn't use cutter comp.

Steve

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 02:50:05 PM »
I think somewhere I have a canned Mcode that uses the Mach3 G12/13 to do circular pocketing. I can look if you are interested.

(;-) TP

Offline bowber

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »
That may be handy TP, just got to get him to write the code, I'm refusing to do it for him as he's the one doing the course not me ;-)

Steve

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 10:24:21 AM »
AW SHUCKS PAW, Can't ya just help me??  :D   Attaboy POP stand your ground. You are correct it IS his job.  When my kids were growing up it was HARD to resist helping them out, ALL the way into college for their masters   :o

I will look for the Mcode, (;-)TP

Offline bowber

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 12:02:51 PM »
Thanks
He's doing the Haas specific code at the moment. I wonder if they have an online backplotter to check it? We'll have to look into that.

Steve

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 11:20:10 PM »
You may want to try   http://cncsimulator.info/    It is free and should be able to simulate a Haas.

(;-) TP