Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:26:53 AM

Author Topic: Arduino Gurus ??  (Read 7127 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Arduino Gurus ??
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »
Hi ALL , are there any Arduino gurus on here? I am looking to build a CNC hand pendant. It would use the following resources

Modbus slave com Rs485  ( mach3 being the master)
LCD 4 x 20 display
4x4 keypad matrix
2 rotary encoders( 10-24 count per rev) for SSO and FRO
6-8  LED indicator lights

Looking for an Arduino Guro to help sort it all out in the Arduino code side.

OR to find out IF it is even feasable to do .

(;-) TP

Re: Arduino Gurus ??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
I wouldn't classify myself as a bona-fide "Guru", but I have spent quite a bit of time with an Arduino Mega, in the modbus/Arduino/Mach3
playground.

John

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »
Great (;-)  So what do you think ? possible or no ? I have seen different moduals that do each part of what I need but not a modual that did it all.

It "Looks Simple Enough" BUT looks can be deceiving(;-).

I chose Modbus because Mach3/4  already talks modbus and the RS485 is good for noise rejection qualities and long runs of cable.  

Also a Brain or macropump should be able to handle the interface between the 2.

SO what do you think ?

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:30:40 PM by BR549 »

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »
Ray l on his post about his tool changer posted a code to do some of what you wont it in there somewear  http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novakon-systems/177997-tormach.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
OR could a PLC like a CUBLOC do the job ??

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 02:21:38 AM »
The Arduino can do nearly anything you want, and LED display is pretty easy. You can even make your own special fonts.

The Cubloc also is very capable, and it has a combination of Ladder Logic, and Basic, which can do lots. The Cubloc has a dedicated port for the keypad, which is basically "plug and play", and also a huge number of I/O. However, the keypad outputs an integer for each key, which requires a brain to do the action. It will also run on 24 volts, since it is really built for commercial applications.

I messed with the Arduino a couple of years back, and remember having difficulty getting a flat panel matrix keypad to work, but the Pokeys worked with the same matrix keypad without a problem. Probably something I did not understand going on regarding the Mega.

Pokeys also has a dedicated I/O for various keypads, and also can output to an LED display. Since the Pokeys has internal software to output Mach3 OEM codes, it is simpler to get things to work right without brains.

Using a Mega will require Modbus and brains to do the same things. They all have their strong points.

The Mega probably has the most digital I/O pins, and has 15 analog I/O. And, the Arduino forum has some really talented members; a lot of the discussion goes way over my head, although they will always chip in to help us "ordinary" guys.

Is it a basic Jog/rotary encoder Pendant you want to build, or something else? 

John

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 03:01:48 AM »
i would also say, that the Arduino will do the job.
lot of software avaliable on the internet.
you should also think about modbus over TCP.
there is also software avaliable for the Arduino:

http://myarduinoprojects.com/modbus.html

Thomas
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
The pendant will use a thumbstick to jog.  The rotary encoders will be used to do the FRO and SSO.  RS485 or RS422 is selected for noise rejection. It will use a 25 foot cable to connect.  Mobus because Mach3 already understands Modbus.

I see a modual to do the Rs485 and to do Modbus and to do a keypad and to do the LCD. But I wonder IF there is enough CPU/Memory to do  them all at once ?.

(;-) TP

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »
I was playing with an arduino for doing a spindle speed encoder over modbus. seems to me you could do about anything with the arduino's. I'm by no means an expert on any of it though. there might be some limitations to the cable length when using rs485. I've also read that arduino's don't work like a computer cpu so they don't handle multiple interupts very well... like if you were reading encoders for each axis.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »
Where does the keypad fit into this?