Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:09:47 AM

Author Topic: New laptop or Desktop? Using ethernet smoothstepper  (Read 6979 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: New laptop or Desktop? Using ethernet smoothstepper
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
Rich it is those TURKEYS in the yard that have you confused.

(;-) TP
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 02:17:42 AM »
I never mentioned a parallel port, As you can see in my title i mentioned using a smooth stepper, So i am trying to find a good computer to run using the smooth stepper, as i mentioned previously i was having a lot of issues using an old laptop, I have since been using my newer desktop and it has been running alot better so i may just purchase another desktop

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 04:30:56 AM »
weird

OP I have run M4 with ESS on a old laptop Compaq win7, 2 old pc one Compaq one aspire XP, one new laptop Toshiba win 7 and now a all in one PC Compaq all worked fine other than one xp pc that was a aspire it was a complete dog.

the all in one is portable a little bit heaver than a laptop runs M4 with ESS like a dream

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »
This is not really a laptop vs. desktop issue. Both will work fine and both have to be set up properly. I think the key here is Chris saying it is an 'old' laptop. I have seen many an old computer that is fine as far as the hardware goes but has had so much software added/removed over the years that it is overloaded with the 'gunk' left behind. Many times the best solution is to reinstall Windows and start from scratch.

The other issue is setting up the PC for Mach 3. Take a look at: http://www.soigeneris.com/Document/Warp9/Installing_and_Configuring_the_Ethernet_SmoothStepper.pdf for some tips.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
Its an old laptop, but its had a fresh windows 7 32 install and only mach 3 installed, all power/sleep settings turned off. I went through the settings provided in the link above, It still has time out issues, sometimes just when moving the machine around via the jog keys and every other time when running G Code, it happens between 1-30min of gcode running,
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 07:07:57 AM »
Hi all,
I've read quite a few posts where users have had difficulty running Mach under Windows7 so much so that many have abandoned the effort
in favour of XP.
When building my new platform I decided on Windows 7 Embedded (Standard). It was reasonably straight forward and have had absolutely
had no issues with the result. My guess is that the normal retail version of Windows 7 has a lot of security code that can interfere with Mach.
The embedded version, or least my mix of it, all but eliminates that code. I am no expert but it is my belief that is the reason I have succeeded
so easily where others have not.
Windows 7 Embedded (Standard) can be downloaded free from MS and used for a month without registration or six months if you register.
I registered and tried it out and liked it enough for me to jump through the hoops to get a runtime licence. I'm not a huge fan of MS but I can't
fault this deal.
I would give you better than even odds that it would solve the intermittent fault that you describe and its free to try.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'