Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:40:38 AM

Author Topic: z-bot, auto tool changer  (Read 6605 times)

z-bot, auto tool changer
« on: April 22, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »
Hey anybody out there see this little tool change add on for hobby mills.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2937
anyone know if its worth a darn. ???

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
Re: z-bot, auto tool changer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 01:51:29 PM »
Hi,
I always say that unless there's a photo then it dosnt exist!
And looking at the design------?
Tony
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »
Good point. anyone know how to build one?

Hood

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 02:40:54 PM »
Heres one, not sure if its what you are looking for but there is a vid of it working. http://home.insightbb.com/~joevicar3/default.htm
Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »
huh. that thing is slick but. Im afraid it wont fit on my square column benchtop mill. plus the dude only sells the plans I think. not the changer. I need something for R8 tooling anyway. I cold use the quick change holders Tarmech is selling though.

Hood

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
I got the plans a while back as I was thinking of making one for the Bridgeport I converted to CNC. I think it could be done as really the only bit of the R8 that is tapered is small. Some modification of R8 holders and there would be plenty of room above to make the stud puller. Also looked at the spindle on my mill and I reckoned there was enough meat in there to bore it out if more room was needed. In the end I got a Series 1 CNC with the QC30 spindle so it would not be so easy to modify it as the spindle is solid. I seem to remember that he was planning on selling the tool fingers but as I would have needed different ones I didnt look into that.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
just thinking about making a power drawbar similar to the one on that drawing. anyone got a clue as to what is an appropriate amount of force to pull a collet closed. Im thinking a heavy spring to pull the bar up and then a simple pancake cylinder to push it open.