Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:10:59 AM

Author Topic: What type of game controller  (Read 2173 times)

What type of game controller
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
Probably about half-a-dozen years ago I made an interface from a usb games controller for jogging etc. The controller I used was very cheap, a tall stick in the middle and some buttons. There were 13 simple momentary miniature switches wired to the electronics through plug and socket connections. I had momentary switches on the frame of my machine and I just wired them to the same plugs used by the controller, disposing of the controller's mechanical bits. This has worked perfectly through key grabber ever since.
I am now trying to replicate this on an identical machine, but am stuck with finding a suitable game controller. I had a Gamepad lying around with a couple of motors providing tactile feedback - they all look very similar. The problem with this one is it is not simply a number of switches passing preset key codes. They don't even seem to be wired to the same common line. With Key Grabber set to test mode, four switches will show buttons 1 to 4 but hit one of the other buttons and they show completely different numbers. I think there are mode, turbo, set and start switches that programme different outputs depending on how they are set.
Has anyone any idea of the name of the generic PC joystick that I would have used then? Or can suggest something simpler than the Game Pad? I don't want to fork out for one of those expensive emulators when a simple game controller would do the job for a fiver.

Dave

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
Re: What type of game controller
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »
Xbox360 game controller works great for me!

Do a search here for it. You should get a few hits.
Re: What type of game controller
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, only just seen it.
As it happens I bought an Ipac2, which seems to do the trick, if a bit more expensive.

Regards

Dave