Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:57:45 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Configuration Help Needed - Maryland, USA - dip switch settings, pins etc  (Read 2760 times)

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and could use some help.  Bought what I believe is a home-made CNC system that had Mach 3 and Aspire in it.  Worked great for 6 months and then the computer died.  Bought a new computer with Windows 7, downloaded Mach 3 and am trying to get it to talk to my CNC.  In the manual, I can't figure out how to get Mach 3 to talk to the motors for the X,Y and Z axis.  I see the dip switches on the motors but am really struggling to get this machine up and running.

I am looking for some help here in Maryland - any direction you might be able to give me would be appreciated.  I am not a CNC guy by trade but was able to have this system do all the cutting work I needed for scenery, sets, props - things like that.  Now I am frustrated that I can't figure it out.

Please shoot me a note - help would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks   Peter
First question is 64 bit or 32 bit?
Did you download the installation manual?

BAR
Hello BAR,

It is a 32bit computer.  Yes, I did download the manual.
The manual doesn't go into the setting of dip switches on the individual motors for each axis.

Peter
Do you have any info on the motors,  make model etc,,,, can you google.

what is needed to setup, is the pins that control direction and step on each motor.  If it was running before, I assume that all we need to do is set the software to the right settings and not mess with the switches.

The interface is a parallel port? If so pins are limited, 2,3 4,5 6,7 maybe

Take one axis at a time and see if any combination will generate some reaction.

Anything indicated on the circuit board in the controller?
For my two penneth, I would try to recover the XML file from the now dead PC. Sometimes it is easier to do than it is even for a non technical person. With the XML file you can interogate it with an editor and establish the settings. If that is not possible, start at the beginning as a new system with a parallel port check tool (I have one it is called GetPortAddress, it should be in the Mach3 root directory) Then steadily work through it.

Hope this helps  :)

Keith
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:01:14 AM by Buggalugs »
God created Ale to make us all happy ..... 8)
Here is a link to an excellent XML reader on this forum.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,9561.0.html

Just a thought, but 7 is a flavour of Vista and may need the registry patches.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:22:37 AM by Buggalugs »
God created Ale to make us all happy ..... 8)