Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:15:55 AM

Author Topic: ESS to GSK servos  (Read 5714 times)

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
  • Time is the same in a relative way
    • View Profile
ESS to GSK servos
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:20:11 PM »
KVR 3500 mill and Servos

Hi it's been a while since my last question, but here goes.

I have a Kingrich KVR3500 mill that I purchased new from Standaco about 4 years ago. I bought it with ball screws etc, setup for the Prototrak CNC system.
About 4 years ago I had discussions with Hood on this forum about the type of Mill to buy, and the control system.
Hood recommended a bed mill, but at the last minute I went ahead and ordered the KVR3500.
I took delivery and the very next day I had a car accident, suffering multiple injuries including a head injury that led to memory loss.

What I know now is limited to re-reading old posts, and looking at correspondence with the suppliers of various things, such as servo motors and drives etc.

Over the last few years I got the mill working using a GSK980mda CNC controller, GSK servos and drives etc. I had ordered all of these before the accident, but now that the CNC controller has developed a fault, I have decided to convert it to a software based CNC package, rather than deal with GSK's almost nonexistant support.

I have some experience using Mach3 and have a lathe that works well using an ESS and stepper motors.

I have also posted on the Linux-CNC forum asking for advice, but I think in hindsight that I'd be better off sticking with what I know best, which is Mach3.

The servo drivers on the mill are GSK DA98Bs and they accept Plus + - and Sign + - inputs. Plus is also variously called by GSK Puls and Pulse, so I think that Pulse is what they mean. Sign is probably direction?
Anyway I have a lot of trouble deciphering their chinglish manual.

I think what I need to do is convert the single ended step and direction signals from Mach, to the aforesaid plus and sign, as well as provide other signals, but I have been unsuccessful so far.

I have created a spreadsheet with my initial connections but needless to say it doesn't work. I have attached a copy of this spreadsheet to this pos.

I have also contacted GSK support, and what follows is their illuminating reply (not).
"The DA98B driver must be need the pulse and direction siganls And the driver don't have the a step and direction mode. The DA98A is using the pulse and direction.
So it is not match with the mach3 controller."

I have the manuals for the servo driver and the old cnc controller which I can attach if needed.

Lastly I would like to say thanks in advance for any help you can give me here, the mill has been a white elephant as I'm just not as capable as I was before the accident, and for the last few years I have spent far more time trying to get it to work than I ever have using it.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers

David

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
Re: ESS to GSK servos
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »
Whoops forgot to attach the spreadsheet. Here it is....
Cheers

David

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »
I guess I just need to know if what I am trying is possible, or whether I should look at another solution?
Cheers

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
If you could attach the manual that would be good, it may be they only accept CW/CCW signal, that however would be unusual.

Are you just trying with the parallel port or do you have an external controller?
The i/o signals from/to the drives will almost certainly be 24v, so if you use the parallel port  then you will need to convert to/from 5v.
If using an external controller such as the CSMIO/IP-S or M then they accept 24v.

Hood

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »
Hi Hood, thanks for the reply.
I am using an ESS. so the I/O will be 5v. Here is the manual for the servo controller.
I believe there is a way to use a second spindle on the GSK MD980B CNC controller, so I will investigate that as well in the interim.
I would really like to make this work with MACH, you will see what I mean when you read the manual :)
Cheers

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 05:23:45 PM »
Ok your drive can accept Step/Direction, it calls it Pulse Direction but it is the same thing.
It can be connected single ended but the preferred option is differential.

Step/Dir is 5v.

The Drives I/O is 12v to 24v so if using the ESS you will need to convert the drives outputs to 5v to input to the ESS and convert the ESS outputs to 24v for the servo drive.

The CSMIO range of controllers (CSMIO/IP-M and IP-S) can accept 24v I/O and have differential step/dir signals it may be a better option for you rather than the ESS.

Your drive can also be set up as analogue command (+/- 10v) but to use that you would need an external controller capable of using analogue command. If you want to go down that route then there are a few that are capable, the one I use is the CSMIO/IP-A. The benefit of using the IP-A is that the controller keeps track of the encoders and updates Mach3 with that position info, so Mach always knows where it is, even after an E-Stop or even with servo drives disabled (logic side of drive still powered) That means even manually moving an axis Mach will know where it is.

Hood

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 06:10:42 PM »
Hi Hood thanks for looking at the manual. I was thinking of using something like this to boot the output from the ESS from 5v to 24v

http://www.linear.com/solutions/4798

and a 7805 voltage regulator to switch the output from the Servo controller down to 5v for the ESS.

My question now is: Do you think this solution will switch fast enough, so that I don't have problems down the track with signal delays?

Thanks again

Dave
Cheers

David

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
Oh and you did suggest the CSMIO range of controllers which seem like a good "out of the box" solution. I however already have 3 x Ess, 2 of which are not currently in use, so being a bit of a cheapskate  I am keen to use what I already have. If you think my solution will lead to issues, I am happy to just go ahead and buy The CSMIO.
Differential output sounds good too, but I do have some differential converters already, so I was going to use a few of those as well.

Dave
Cheers

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »
I am not an expert on electronics so can't really say whether that circuit will work or not.

The ESS works well enough but it is just a bit of a pain to integrate as you need to convert voltages, use line drivers, get spindle control board if needing analogue spindle control, get breakout boards, if you want analogue inputs for feed override and spindle overrides then you have to do something there. The CSMIO/IP-S does all of that so it saves a lot of time/effort and probably works out as cheap.

As you already have the ESS then you may be as well just using it.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
Oh meant to say, my preference out of the CSMIO's would actually be a CSMIO/IP-A as it has the added benefit of updating Mach as to position.

Hood