Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:58:48 AM

Author Topic: Ref X/Y tweak to give dead space...  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Ref X/Y tweak to give dead space...
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:32 AM »
Is it possible to set the Ref X-Y feature to home to zero then set DRO's to say -3mm ???

I have my axis zero points set to the edge of the material guides on X & Y, but if I forget to allow a shift of around +3mm in Sheetcam it fails to cut or tries to cut along the edge of the sheet.

Just wondering :)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Ref X/Y tweak to give dead space...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:23 AM »
HIYA Dave, go to config , home/limits, set teh HOME OFFSET for the axis to -3.

That should do it. Then machine  0,0 will be 3 mm short of the switches.

NOW that does not effect Work 0,0 (;-) Are you looking to set the WORK Zero to 3mm off of the Machine Zero ??

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:07:01 AM by BR549 »

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »
I think that's it, all I do is ref the machine, chuck the plate on, load code up and cut :)

I don't think I use work zero at all????

It would just be really useful to not have to remember to add X&Y shift to the jobs in Sheetcam.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
Ok, it sort of works :)

Had to move the soft limits 3mm as well but that made sense so ok.

Ref x/y worked good - it zeroed then set DRO's to -3mm as I wanted.

Cut a job - worked great,

Next job was in the middle of a part used sheet so I jogged to where I want, used "set ref point" to set my start location, cut job as normal.

Then I told it to ref x/y again and it only set to zero this time, no 3mm offset this time??
Restart mach and it works again.

So obviously I'm getting coordinates confused but is there a solution or can it not be done??

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 06:58:27 PM »
OK first once you reference the machine there is NO reason to go back and rereference it again.  What you did when you cut in the middle of the sheet was set an offset(G54) (;-) It is the work offset.   To get Back to the Machine Origin Machine 0,0 you should be able to call a G30 and it should go to Machine 0,0. Then you can reset the work offset to ZERO again.

Make any sense ??  (;-) TP

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 01:21:25 AM »
Ok so set origin sets a work offset, G30 clears this offset??

I wouldn't generally ref the machine again, unless an estop was called.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »
To set a work offset move to a position then press ZeroX ZeroY  or Zero ALL. This sets the new work offset position as X0 Y0 (point of Origin).

ALL the G30 does is return to the machine 0,0 position. NOTHING more    IF you want that position to become the new work offset you again ZeroX ZeroY to reset it.

Just as a reference  I cut(plasma) every day. I never reference the machine nor do I use the limits/softlimits  . You should know if the part fits the table. You have access to the XY travel extents on screen and you have a tape measure ??  IF it is really close then run the profile( outside offset) with the torch off to see IF it fits the material BEFORE you try to cut it.

I also have macros that will auto advance a repeat part either vertically or horizonally. It resets the new 0,0 to Extents(X or Y) + .250 automatically so all I do is press the V Adv or H Adv button then Start.

Just a thought(;-) TP

I simply move to the PART 0,0 set Zero all (X,Y) then CUT. When that is done move to the new PART 0,0 and repeat.  Takes all the BRAIN work out of the equation (;-)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »
Thanks, starting to make more sense now.

I like having the machine referenced, 1 because it makes sense to me, and 2 because if I get a torch dive or hang up etc I can normally ref it again and rescue the part easily - not sure if that can be done if not reff'd ?

I was unaware that pressing the set origin button was setting G54 work offset, I guessed it just reset machine zero as that was what it appeared to do.

Thanks