Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:51:28 PM

Author Topic: Should I update the Galil Firmware?  (Read 4127 times)

Should I update the Galil Firmware?
« on: April 10, 2015, 04:01:50 AM »
Hi
I set up a machine in late 2012 using a Galil DMC-41x3 control using the Galil Plugin V4.5 and Galil Firmware Rev1.1a.   At the time I had all kinds of Ethernet communication problems where I would lose the ethernet connection every few minutes or hours!..  At the time I tried everything including different network cards, cables, plugins. etc.  I even send the Galil controller back to Galil to have it tested, although they found know faults.
I ended up shelving this controller and using an old DMC -2********* controller that works, although it still stops several times per day during a cycle and needs to be restarted!

I have now re investigated this (several years later) and found that the latest plugin is now V4.6 and the latest Galil Firmware is Rev1.2b (Released only 3 April 2015). The Galil website 'Firmware Release Notes' now refers to some "Ethernet communication Enhancements" in the last few updates.

I would like to know if anybody else has had these communication problems?, and if they can confirm that updates to the plugin and Firmware over the last few years have improved their ethernet communication problems?

Is it a good idea to always update the Galil Firmware to the latest version?   or is the Galil plugin only matched to older Galil firmware and there for should not be touched?

I am asking this as I would like to try again my 'shelved' DMC-41x3 controller to prepare for when the Mach4 Galil plugin is available to use with Mach4.  as this looks like the future and will be more reliable and stable!!!!

thanks
Mark
Re: Should I update the Galil Firmware?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:51:23 AM »
Hi AussieBloke,

I recently got my router up and running with Mach4 and Galil DMC 4103.  I was having communication faults with Rev 1.2b.  I sent the controller to Galil for the upgrade to Rev2.0.  The communications faults seem to be gone, however I am having a different issue.  I am experiencing excessive jitter or resonance when running a gcode.

Kono
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
Hi Kono
I have also tried Mach4 and got excessive jitter with my Galil.  My yaskawa servo motors are smooth under Mach3 using the same tuning parameters. As a result I gave up using Mach4
I would appreciate letting me know if you find a solution!
Mark
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 09:21:57 PM »
Mark,

I wanted to let you know that I was successful getting my machine up and running well with mach4 and Galil DMC-4143.  First, the Dmc in my system is commanding velocity (analog +/-10vdc) to my servo amplifiers.  The amplifiers execute the analog velocity set point by commanding torque/current to the servos.  I tuned each axis offline until I was happy with the response, shooting for critically damped.  The acceleration terms in the servo amps are set very high or effectively not limiting.  The Galil plugin is also set to 30,000,000 Accel/decel, or effectively non limiting.  The term used to set accel/decel is in the mach4 config / Mach /motors / tab.  I used a low Accel term of 100 units/sec^2. 
Galil plugin settings

UDP
COMMAND PORT 23
MESSAGE PORT 6001
LINEAR INTERPOLATION
VECTOR TIME CONSTANT 1
VECTOR ACCEL/DECELERATIONS 30,000,000
TIME SLICE 8MS
BUFFER 75MS
TIME INTERVAL 25MS

The time slice, buffer, and time interval needed to be increased on my setup to eliminate communication errors to the Galil Dmc.
I hope this helps.  If you have any questions let me know. 

Good luck,
Kono