Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:36:00 PM

Author Topic: Restarting mid way in a run  (Read 4207 times)

Restarting mid way in a run
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:19:37 PM »
I had a 65245 line tool path to run on Saturday.   at 12341 lines the bit came loose.

So I reinstalled the tool, and reset Zero  is there a way in Mach to ask the controller to start from a specific line? in this case I wanted the machine to start carving at line 12000.

this is only my 3 rd  carving with Mach, seems  like a great system,  just not sure how to get trained on it.  Is there manuals or generic operating videos that could help??

thanks
Re: Restarting mid way in a run
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »
In the lower left corner of the Program Run screen there's a button Set Next Line and Run From Here.

In the G-code window scroll down to line 12000 or type 12000 in the Line window and press enter, then click Set Next Line and click Run From Here. Follow the prompts in the Status window.

Word of warning choose you're restart point carefully, I'm new to this CNC stuff also and I've selected the wrong line and had the bit dragged across the material on it's way to the start point.

I'm sure there's a way to prevent this, but I've not had time to play with it....

Nice carving!!!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:39:09 AM by highpockets »
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
thanks.. I will play with it this weekend.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »
highpockets
Setting a Safe Z will help you with this.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
Thanks Hood, I'll look into Safe Z
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »
Hood, in my other machine, a Shark HD I set the Safe Z during the Tool path creation in Aspire.

So is that the same for Mach3?   if a set a Safe Z in Aspire, will Mach3 pick that up, or is there a place in the Mach 3 controls to program in a Safe Z?

I have sensors on the X and Y so have early stops set on those before the  unit runs in to a hard stop, but there are not sensors on the Z assemble to set up limits.... That would of course be different than setting the Safe Z .

thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 04:32:14 AM »
Safe Z in Mach is a move that is used in certain circumstances. One of those is when doing a Run From Here.
What will happen is you choose the line to do the RFH from, Mach will run through the code and then ask you to press Start, you press Start and a box will pop up showing you where it will move to and will include a safe Z move if you have one set up. If you do not have a safe Z set up you can still enter one in that prep move box. It is, in my opinion best to have safe Z set rather than just remembering to enter it.

There are 3 options for Safe Z, Machine coords, work coords and incremental, my preference is Machine Coords, if you do not home the Z axis then possibly one of the others would be more suitable.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »
Thanks Hood.  I am going to set up a small foam core carve Saturday and play with this.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Wow! Thanks Hood Safe Z works great!

Now would you please look at my thread about Z home  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:55:24 PM by highpockets »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »
LOL ok will look for it.