Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:22:27 PM

Author Topic: Convert a router bed to a 3D printer?  (Read 2610 times)

Convert a router bed to a 3D printer?
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »
I'd like to know if it's possible to convert a CNC router bed to a 3D printer.  I currently have a home-built Kleinbauer 7th Sojourn.  It was a great project to teach me the basics of CNC and GCode.  Now I'm thinking that it would be a good platform to learn 3D printing.

I'm aware that I can buy or build extruder heads and I figured that I already have the basic platform of a 3D printer, I just need to pop some new parts onto the 7th Sojourn base and reconfigure Mach3.  The problem is that I'm not 100% sure that Mach3 can support that tech or that your average 2.5D router bed can support it either. 

So, I'm here doing research and would appreciate any fast-tracking to the appropriate info to give me a head-start or head me off if I'm on a wild goose chase.

My machine is driven from an XP via parallel to a HobbyCNC controller board driving NEMA 23 steppers with Mach3.  The bed is 9" x 14" with a 3" Z range.  Thanks!
Re: Convert a router bed to a 3D printer?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »
Hi, I have 2 3D Printers which I consider myself to be more knowledgeable with them than my CNC Mill.

3D Printers, although following the same motion principles as a CNC Mill is a different beastie’s altogether.

I stand to be corrected but although both 3D Printing and CNC Milling uses the same code family (Gerber G-Code) they are two completely different flavours.
You will need to control both Hotbed and Extruder temperatures infinitely. Temperature control is a critical element to the printing process.

For my money I would purchase a Controller Board from Fleabay (circa 40 quid) a heated Bed plate and a half decent Extruder. And using a GNU public licenced software package like ReplicatorG (Free !!) you should be on your way.  – Good Luck!

as an additional thought, there are plans and drawings dotting about on the web which will give you some insights into building a DIY Printer, some are a bit Heath-Robinson but one or two are quite well designed.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:04:54 PM by Buggalugs »
God created Ale to make us all happy ..... 8)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:38:17 AM »
If it's any help...

Quite a bit of information on 3D printer operation / construction / software and associated links here http://www.openbuilds.com/forums/3d-printers.31/

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:19:18 AM »
Thanks guys!