Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:18:30 PM

Author Topic: Seperate tool path files  (Read 2655 times)

Seperate tool path files
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »
Hi all

I’d like to be able to machine some parts in stages, I know if I don’t change the gcode file name it will remember zero point so I can reload files and have it start from the same point all the time. Providing I don’t turn it off…

Is there a way I can save my individual tool paths to different files and still be able to load them one after another without worrying about having to reset the zero point?

What about returning to a machining operation after the system has been switched off for some time?

Thanks
Re: Seperate tool path files
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »
I often load, reload, and change files without the XYZ reference changing in Mach 3. After a power off though you will loose it. What I used to do on an old CNC knee mill was use a post-it. The machine had a scale stuck on each axis and dials on the screws. So I would zero all axis with no tool in the spindle then move to X0,Y0,Z0 and write on the post-it the value on the scales and dials down to the fraction of a thousanth of an inch. Move back there in the morning hit zero on axis and go to work.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:35:23 PM »
Hi nzlowie:

Why don't you use home switches.  If you used optical sensors for the X,Y,Z home position, and saved your G54 work offset, after a power down/restart, you can get back to your saved G54 home position within tenths. Even good quality mechanical micro switches will repeat pretty close, .001/.0015) for most general machine work.

John
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »
Good idea, hadn't really thought about them!

So when I wire the switches and set then up, does the machine ignore them in normal motion?

I remember thinking about them when I first built the machine.... Wasn't sure how it all worked so I didn't fit them!

Maybe I need to do some looking into them....... I was worried about the axis over shooting once the switch triggers, or will this always be the same so it can be factored in?

Thanks

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »
As long as you do NOT shut Mach3 down you can load and run as Many programs as you wish without resetting The Coord base (Machine Zero 0,0).

Same with Work Zero  Unless you shut down Mach3 OR change it it remains the same.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:36:20 PM »
I have limit switches for safety only. Crashing into the endstops at full speed due to program error or just running out of travels is really bad for any machine.  So mine are just there to prevent that.  To get accuracy with limit switches you must take into account how you actuate them not just the basic switch accuracy, which can be surprising difficult.