Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 08:18:54 AM

Author Topic: How to take apart this 4th axis?  (Read 2356 times)

How to take apart this 4th axis?
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »
Hi
I have a problem and need someone more mechanically inclined then myself. This 4th axis has
a motor which I believe will be under powered. In addition my current power supply is too
high a voltage to run the motor. I plan to use a 1200 oz|in stepper I have instead.
My problem is I can`t seem to determine how this 4th axis can be disassembled. I looked at the
chuck but cannot see how to take it apart. Right behind the chuck is what looks to be the front of
the harmonic drive. It has four screws. Can`t loosen the screws because the chuck is in the way.
Tried taking the screws off the back of the stepper but they don`t go all the way through to the
aluminum casing. I was apprehensive to completely remove the stepper screws because I remembered
that a stepper loses its functionality if its dissembled. Hoping for some ideas.
Re: How to take apart this 4th axis (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
Hi
Well I just did it and I removed the steeper and got it apart. I`m not familiar with harmonic drives
but it seems to be added to the front of the stepper motor. I`ll have to adapt some of the parts so
I can add the large stepper.
Re: How to take apart this 4th axis?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 06:05:51 PM »
It's a Strain Wave Gear - Harmonic Drive is a trademark of a Japanese company -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_drive

- Nick