Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:14:39 PM

Author Topic: new guy with problems  (Read 3118 times)

new guy with problems
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »
Hey all new guy here, haven't had a lot of experience with any type of cnc. I purchased a small 2x2 table from Precision Plasma a few months back, came with the stepper motors and a Gecko G540 all I had to do was put it together. I finally have that all done(work 1 full time job and 1 PT job) and everything is running. This is something for myself and wife to do at home together. I use inkscape to do the drawings, sheetcam to run the post processing and of course Mach3 to run the machine. I have the license for both Sheetcam and Mach3. After lots of trial and error, lots of reading we finally were able to cut out the roadrunner test. After that we were able to cut out a few basic shapes, stars, circles.... after a few days I was able to get back into the shop to try out a few drawing we made and a few that I purchased. Now here where the problem starts. I cannot get it to cut anything the way it should, stars are off, circles are not circles and some of the other things I tried that worked before either are off the cuts as in it cuts one part and instead of cutting the outer part it cuts through the middle or it won't finish the cuts so the object is not cut all the way, even the roadrunner won't cut right anymore. I'm at a loss as to what happened from the last time I used it to now. Guys please I need some help.... ??? ???
Re: new guy with problems
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:29:24 AM »
heres a pic of whats happening

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 04:48:24 AM »
Hi,

check your scalings in main window to be 1.0.
check your step's per unit in motor tuning window.
check your motors are fitted correctly (no loose to the spindle)

Thomas
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »
Have you determined whether you have any backlash that needs to be compensated for? Do a search for backlash along with what TPS has already suggested.

It's a learning process. You'll get there.
Don't be afraid to ask questions as we were all there once too.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »
Ok I've set the steps per using the settings tab (alt-f6) one thing I did in this was since I have a 4 axis  (y and a slaved together) was to set the a manually the same as y. Wasn't sure if that was something I had to do but I did. I do now see or feel any loose gears to the spindle on the motor but it does make a noise when it starts to move like there is but I can't see anything.  Also I've searched everywhere to figure out where I go to change to tool to 1.0 right now it say 0.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:13:26 AM »
Hi,

one simple thing to test for loose spindle is:
-chouse slow jog speed
-hold the spindle with one hand
-jog with the other had backward and foreward and try to block the spindle
there you can feel if there is any loose part.

an other test is to do G1 moves in the MDI, allways the same distance forward
and backward, mark your startpoint and endpoint and check that it goes allways to the same
points.

Thomas
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 06:49:56 AM »
Fix a felt tip to your tool holder and try drawing instead of cutting. Plasma is electrically filthy - this will test your table without interference from the plasma. It also means you're not wasting metal at this stage.