Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:22:50 PM

Author Topic: 2.5D  (Read 5606 times)

2.5D
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:10:53 PM »
I have just installed and setup Mach 3 on my knee mill.  I am 2 axis at the moment, and I was wondering if there was a way to configure mach to operate in 2.5D mode.  I know I can get a CAM program to do it, but the wizards in Mach are nice, and it would be a pain to export the Gcode, add the 2.5D optional stops, and reload it.  It would be great if there was a way to make Mach feedhold whenever the Z axis moves.

Brian

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5D
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:15:16 PM »
Is this what you were looking for?

Brett

Edit:
I meant to say. This is found in the config tab, general config.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:29:34 AM »
I believe he is after something a little different. My understanding is that the Z is 2.5d option is more intended for laser or plasma I think it sends a signal out when there is supposed to be a z move. Laser doesn't really need a z it just needs a beam on and off.

Now unfortunally I am not sure how to do what he is asking.  This would be a good Brian question.

EFI:  I would recommend just going the extra step and getting the quill going. It really makes things faster and opens up lots of capability. You are 2/3 the way there!! ;)

CHad

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:08:08 AM »
Thanks Chad.

Brett

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:22:19 AM »
Chad,
  I thought for sure that with all the specialized functions that Mach has, it would have a 2.5D option.  Seems like it would be wasy to implement.  Anyways, if anyone knows how to make this happen painlessly it would be appreciated.  Maybe it could be included in the next Mach release.....

As for being 2/3 of the way there.... putting control on the quill looks like a major, where the cross slides are pretty easy, unless someone has some fancy way of doing it without a lot of drama.

Brian

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:10:08 PM »
I used stuff from this place on my knee mill. The quill drive is nice in that it can be easily disconnected for manual use if you want to.

http://www.elrodmachine.com/CNC_Z_Axis_Quill_Drive.htm

Chad

(no association just a happy customer..)

Hood

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 03:08:38 PM »
If its a Bridgeport clone it should be fairly easy to fit to the quill. The Bridgeports and I presume the clones have a couple of machined faces on the front of the head, from what I believe this is the firt thing to be machined on the raw casting and everything else is machined to this as the reference. In otherwords the quill is exactly in line with these machined bits. I used this to act as the mount for my quill braket and it was perfectly aligned with the quill. Heres a 3d pic of the braket. and you will find some photos here http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hoodsmachiningpages/BridgportConversion.htm
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:48:06 PM »
Brian, this option was added after your post.  See this thread  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11415.msg72422.html#msg72422

Brett