Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:09:41 AM

Author Topic: Need help setting up tools for first time  (Read 5569 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Need help setting up tools for first time
« on: March 17, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »
I am trying to get my first part made. I have the basic CAM stuff done. I need to modify a couple things.
I got all my tools loaded in the changer in the sequence I want to use them.

So, now what? I don't want to crash this thing.
How do I tell mach the settings it needs for each tool?
Right now I am just using a 1" 1-2-3 block to set the height. I will work on something more advanced later.
It says something about a master tool.
I imaging you have to set an offset for each tool, then use one of the tools as a master tool that touches to the zero on the part, then it will use the offset values for all the tools to know where they will be?? right?

So, what is my first step?

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Re: Need help setting up tools for first time
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »
so what I am doing now is this....

ref zero all
using a 1-2-3 block on the 3" length (tools won't reach at 1")
putting the tool down until they are at the top of the block.
making sure the number of tool is selected.
set gage block height to 3"
hit the set tool offset button
put in the diameter
save this

seems right...and yes I am looking in the manual as well. Let me know if this is right.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
You do not really need to use a master tool as such and unless you are setting up with a block from the surface you are about to machine, then you do not really need a value in the gauge block DRO.
What you describe however should work fine, personally I would use a feeler gauge just to get it a bit closer but maybe you can manage fine without by sliding the block to gauge when you are just touching it.

Hood

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:31:33 AM »
Yeah. I am not using a "Master tool" at this point. I am just using one of the tools loaded for the job since I am not really making these permanent setups or anything yet. I am just muddling through my first part figuring it all out. I have a touch off plate and probe. I will utilize those at some point I think.
So, just to review this is what I have done so far last night

Set the tool offset by measuring off the table for every tool using 1-2-3 blocks

Set the origin of the part using an edge finder

Set the Z offset from the part with a 1-2-3 block using one of the tools that I already put the offset in.
 -this is the step I am unsure of. I am not sure if I should have the tool offset off or on when I do this.

When I get this all setup, my plan is to set the z offset from the part an inch or two high and then let the program run through cutting air.

Make me nervous to let the machine go on it's own for the first time with all the tool changes etc. I am still not 100% on setting the work height.
The gotozero button scares me also. I hit it and it goes to x and y zero fine, but then z zings down and seems like it is going beyond the part surface. I hit the e-stop real quick when it got close and it seems it deflected off the corner just a hair and left a little gouge. Not sure how far it would have went if I did not e-stop. Too scared to let it go.
I am not sure why you would want Z to drop when you select gotozero.  Even if it was right, the tool would be touching the part I think.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:41:03 PM »
Something you have to remember there always has to be a master of some sort that references Z0.000 TOP of material.

As a simple method and you have to repeat this exactly each time you setup tools.

Take the longest tool you have in the set to use as the master. Set its offsets to ZERO. Touch off the Master however you want and set Mach3 to Zzero.  NOW touchoff each of the other tools and record the offsets from the master. and record in the tool table.

NOW when you start the program run you MUST touch off on the part with the master tool and set the Z to ZERO.   NOW all the tools are synced to the correct offsets based on the master.

NOW you must remember that in order for the TOOL height comp to work you must invoke the G43xx xx Call. You can do it in the M6 macro or from Gcode in the program BUT it must be done in order for Tool height comp to work.  You also must remember to remove the Comp with G49 afterwards.

AFTER you see how it all works it will be easy peezy from then on.

I suggest testing with a styrofoam block.  To SLOW down the machine motion use the FRO and RRO to slow it down to a crawl. This will give you TIME to see what is about to happen.  You can also single step thought the code and watch EACH line function. You can also use the distance to go DROs to see IF it is going to STOP where it should for each line call.

NOW there are as many ways to do this as there are hairs on your head. Starting out pick ONE method and get it perfected in your head. Then the process will become second nature.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
I like using the edge finder that is permanently installed in a holder to pick up Z0. That means one tool gets all your references. I also like to use a round pin of .500" diameter to touch off. No edges, you roll it back and forth under the tool and never jog up or down with it between the tool and the part. That is very safe.

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
I am getting a Z min soft limit error and I cannot tell why. I wonder if my tool retraction is too much for the air cut offset I am picking. Is there an easy way to see this within mach?

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 12:05:27 AM »
Figured it all out and made my first part tonight :)
It was the tool offset on/off. I had to have it the opposite of what I had it when I zero'd to the work piece. It was offsetting it out of range.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:07:03 AM by jevs »
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 12:28:13 AM »
Way to go ! Looks really good.
On a roll now.
Perseverance pay off again.
Congrats.,
Russ

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »
I posted a video. I was trying to make the video, keep a hand on the e-stop, get a little lube in there and blow chips at the same time :) I missed the first spot drills and the last chamfer. I had to secure it a little better for the last chamfer. I got a little deeper than I wanted and it was barely hanging on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9PmjT-yrIM&feature=youtu.be

By the way, sorry for that large picture. I thought I was picking the smaller one.