Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:23:17 PM

Author Topic: CNC router tries to go beyond axis limits  (Read 4570 times)

CNC router tries to go beyond axis limits
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:41:58 PM »
Disclaimer - I am a newbie to Mach3 (although I know G-code programming). 

I have inherited a table-top style CNC router, with a cutting area of 300 mm by 500 mm and a 1 HP spindle.  It is considered a "mini" system by the vendor (Eurocnc).

When I move along an axis using the arrow keys, and the stepper motor hits the end of the spindle, the motor does not sense that it has reached the end of the axis and still tries to move past the end.  The result is a horrible sound and vibration, indicating that the motor is being forced to do something that it should not be doing.

Is this normal, or can I prevent this through calibration so that the software is aware of the limits of the axis?

Thanks so much.

PS: My Mach3 installation is V2.63.
Re: CNC router tries to go beyond axis limits
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
Correction: When I move along an axis using the arrow keys, and the stepper motor hits the end of the AXIS, the motor does not sense that it has reached the end of the axis and still tries to move past the end.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
This is covered very well in the set-up manual. You can find it on the main Art-Soft website in the Documents section.

There are provisions for Hardware Limits, as well as Software Limits, both of which work very well.

If you have more questions after going through the manual, post again for detailed explanations.

Regards,
Russ
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »
Thanks Overloaded.  I will check out the documentation as you suggest.  I have since also become informed of a the tutorial video #3 (Offsets, Homing - Limits) and am viewing that.  (Unfortunately, I am currently not next to the physical machine and really looking forward to going to the shop tomorrow morning!)

Which leads me to a related question - is there a software simulator that would show how a hypothetical machine would react based on command inputs to a Mach3 installation?

Thanks again.

Like your Lincoln quote - teach fishing vs provide fish.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »
The documentation you suggested turned out to be a reference (at least the one I have).  I consulted tutorial videos, but found them to be of no help.  I am unable to get the soft limits button to turn green.

I find the Mach3 interface to be pretty non-intuitive.  (It may have evolved since the version I have, I don't know.)

FYI.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
Perhaps I led you in the wrong direction.
I meant this manual. (pic)

Section 4.6

Once you set your Soft limits, you can view the working envelope in the Toolpath window by clicking the "Display Mode" button.

Russ
 :)