Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:48:54 PM

Author Topic: Using Drawings and Cam programs on a computer running Mach 3  (Read 2635 times)

I am building a new CNC router, transitioning from linuxcnc to Mach 3.  I will be driving the router  via an ethernet smoothstepper. With my current small router I do all of the cad/cam in the office and then send it via a shared folder to the PC controlling the machine.  Would there be any issue using a single computer to do both, or is this generally seen as a poor practice?   There are times when I would I am iterating the design for a few a simple component rapidly, It involves making changes quickly and doing test cuts,  Say making a new cut every 10 minutes, switching computers has been a real hassle.

Thanks!

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
Re: Using Drawings and Cam programs on a computer running Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:11 AM »
it pays not to some computers cant handle M3 very well and having a cad program running at the same time can make it worse I have tried it and it was a bad idea on both my machines

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:33:59 AM »
No problems with having CAD, CAM, and other programs installed on the computer.
Just don't use the programs if you are running Mach.
RICH

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:54:25 AM »
take what rich said over what I said it was my computers yours my be diffrent
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »
You could link the cnc computer with the design pc via file sharing. Just drag and drop the file to the cnc pc. I use that option and it work great. Personally I have found its best to keep the cnc pc just running mach. There was a Youtube video of some guy running mach 3 and checking his email at the same time on a laptop.... he closed the email window and the tool bit crashed into the work. Priceless.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:34:11 PM by geh7552 »
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »
I run CamBam at the same time as Mach3 with no problem, BUT I do have a motion card driving the motors and I think that would be the difference. It is really really nice to have the Cam program and Alt Tab away from the CNC and you can make a change and repost in a few seconds.  Mach3 remembers the last file you loaded from too.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:59 PM »
If you're not running the machine while using the programs, then there's no problem at all. Depending on the specs of your computer, you may be able to do both.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html