Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:08:52 AM

Author Topic: Connecting 24vdc relays to Galil DMC2183 controller  (Read 4472 times)

Connecting 24vdc relays to Galil DMC2183 controller
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »
Hello,

I am moving along nicely with my Mach3-Galil project but I have a few more questions.

My main question now is I want Mach3 to instruct the Galil controller to activate an output and I want that output to turn on a 24vdc relay.  I have an external 24vdc power supply but I'm not sure how to wire it to the pins on the controller without frying everything.  Can someone point me to a schematic that shows this setup?  The relays are for turning on a vacuum pump and a dust collector.

My other problem is connecting a VF drive to control a spindle.  I basically need to send the drive an on/off command and control the speed.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for such a great forum.

Andre Barclay
Re: Connecting 24vdc relays to Galil DMC2183 controller
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:04:08 AM »
It depends on which daughter board you are using, the ICM-20100 outputs 5V at about 20ma and would require a 5v low current relay coil.  If you have a ICM-21105, then it will output 500ma at 24 volts.  You can hook this directly to the 24V relay.  Take a look at the Galil website, and download all of the manuals that you need.

For the VFD FOR/OFF/REV, connect to a Galil output through a relay(s).  Connect the speed control to the analog +/- 10V CMD and GND signal for that axis per the instructions in your VFD manual.
Controls Engineer
Machinist
Machine Design/Build
Re: Connecting 24vdc relays to Galil DMC2183 controller
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 08:14:21 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I have the relays working now but I tried the same VFD setup you suggested and I fried the board.  I think I have a bad DMC since it has fried 4 times now.  I purchased another one off of eBay and I have not encountered any problems so far.

Andre