Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:47:26 PM

Author Topic: How do I set the tool change location in Mach3 Turn  (Read 4170 times)

How do I set the tool change location in Mach3 Turn
« on: February 25, 2015, 01:13:44 PM »
Do I need to do it in Mach3 Mill, settings page and somehow copy it over to Turn?
Right now some tools are not clearing the stock for a tool change.  It seems to just go to the last position of the last cut?
Thanks,
Gerry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: How do I set the tool change location in Mach3 Turn
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »
Mach will only move where it is told to go. Normally your code will define the toolchange position on a lathe, this is because it is tool dependent as to where the best position would be and on a lathe with a turret the axes do not have to be in any specific position for you to do the toolchange, unlike a lot of milling machines.

If you prefer to  have a set toolchange position then you can write that into your M6start macro or you could even have the macro look at a couple of User DROs which you use to enter a toolchange position.
 The only problem you may have with these methods is that, as mentioned, on a lathe it is tool dependent as to where the safest position would be, also getting to that position may well be tool dependent.
 For example on a mill it is almost always safe to raise the Z fully then move X and Y, on a lathe it may be X has to move first then Z or maybe Z first then X or maybe it will be possible to move both at the same time, it will depend on the current tool and also the next one that will be presented.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
I use my  home position as the tool change position for my work on the lathe.
Don't use switches here, so I reference the machine / create home and use a work offset for part location.
The work offset includes distance for some movement and the longest tool length.
Since I use a quick tool changer, my program code includes a safe retract position ( can be added in CAM) before a G53 or G28 move to home,
a G4 Px dwell is added to allow time to change the tool. Just a click of the Cycle Start and the program continues runnning.

Use a different screen set than the original which makes the above easy / quick to do.

FWIW,
RICH
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:57:44 PM by RICH »
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:58:08 AM »
Thanks fellas,
Gerry