Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:51:50 AM

Author Topic: Lathe Tool Table tip radius/direction question.  (Read 5028 times)

Lathe Tool Table tip radius/direction question.
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »
I use Dolphin CAM to generate the code for my lathe and have all my tools with their tip radii & direction setups saved in Dolphin.  I have the tool X & Z offsets saved in the Mach Tool table but noticed today that I don't have their tip radii & directions saved. :-[

Will the Dolphin generated toolpaths (with tapers or radii in the work) all be incorrect because of that?  If not, surely any Mach Wizard generated code with tapers or radii will be wrong, yes?  Will I need 2 tool tables?

Just when I think I'm getting this stuff clear in my head, I realize how very little I know. ::)  Fortunately, it hasn't made much difference in the low precision work I've turned out so far but I need to get this issue correctly sorted.

Also. is the Direction box in the standard Turn Tool Table screen input expressed in degrees from 0?
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe Tool Table tip radius/direction question.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
I don't know if the nose rad works in Mach or not, never used it and to be honest if I was using a wizard for something it would just be a simple thing. Anything requiring complex toolpaths I would do in CAM as it not only takes account of the tools nose rad but also the shape of the tool and won't (or shouldn't) crash into stock when the tool shape does not allow it to cut there.

Trying to think how the rad would affect such as a taper and I suppose it may affect the dia slightly as it will be starting to  cut slightly further on from where you asked it to start, not sure if it would be that much of a deal as it would likely be minimal and you could easily compensate with the X wear I would think.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
OK thanks my friend; I feel much better.  One less thing to stress over. ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »
Would be an interesting thing to test out though, do one taper in CAM and the same again but with the wizard and see how much of a difference there is. As said I would think very little but I may give it a go if I get a chance just to see.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
I also have never used the direction or radius in the tool table. If you have a look in the lathe manual
it will show you the different tip directions used for compensation.

BUT, like you, I use precompensated code and unless there is some G41 or G42 ....guessing....and you have tip & radius in the tool table, don't think you need to worry about it. All my tools are based on the actual cutting edge.

BUT, some other controllers use a similar but different designation for the direction if my memory is correct.

Maybe someone who hand codes for the lathe can shed a little more light on how well the tool comp works.

BTW, fooling with / creating  a manual touch off of the tools in lathe and don't think we will even include any restrictions relative to the touch off surface.

FWIW,
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »
see how much of a difference there is.

With some hobby lathes and the way folks use them......probably not accurate enough to give a comparison.....! :o

I'll let you fool around Hood....let us know what you find. ;D

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »
I'll let you fool around Hood

Thats all I ever do Rich :)

Hood
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
Interesting stuff; thanks for the input.  The only reason I worried about it at all is I've had some parts come out really close to what I programmed and others not so much.  Most likely due to problems in the machine, tooling issues or my screw-ups.  I should do a better job of keeping up with the good'uns & the bad'uns & try to figure what caused each.

If what you do is fooling around Hood, I shudder to think what I'm doing. ::)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »
others not so much

Just something to think about......
The tool offset can be +- .0002 but that is radius and add to that some X axis actual accuracy ( not resolution), some springing / tool and work,material being cut as compared to what was used to check the tool, a little backlash ( they all have it), spindle run out, they all add up,  and the total affect becomes noticeable on the part diameter, spindle. IE. do a 1-80 thread ....just a silly little and it is a junk thread.

RICH

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »
Yup, I hear ya.  I call it the "dynamic cutting point."  On the 1st try, the size of part my machine produces varies a few thou over/under what I've asked it to make.  The more time I spend using it, the closer it gets on the 1st try but it many times has me scratching my head.  After firing a few bracketing shots and getting a direct hit though, it does pretty well at making subsequent parts.  S.O.P. for a hobby machine I suppose, but I keep trying to tweak things & make it do better.:)