Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:11:28 PM

Author Topic: Convert to Mach3 from DeskCNC  (Read 3820 times)

Convert to Mach3 from DeskCNC
« on: February 21, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »
Hi all, newbie here in need of some assistance!

About a month ago I was given a CNC router setup.  It is a IMService 121204 that runs on DeskCNC.  Through my research and attempted set up I have found that the machine itself seems adequate for a beginner like me just getting his feet wet, but the software is quite the opposite.  I've also found that support or any info whatsoever is nonexistent for this software and the manual is a joke (probably why it was given to me).  So I would like to convert my machine to run on Mach.  The problem is that the DeskCNC controller board runs from a 9 pin serial port.  As you know Mach requires a parallel port.  I have a computer with a parallel port and have downloaded the demo of Mach3, I just can't get the proverbial square peg to plug into a round hole!  I have no problem paying for Mach I just need to know that I can get it to work with my setup.

So for my question.  How can I convert my DeskCNC router to run from Mach3?

Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Convert to Mach3 from DeskCNC
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
You need to get rid of the DeskCNC hardware and replace it with a parallel port breakout board.
Your DeskCNC hardware sends step and direction signals to the motor drives.
With Mach3, the software sends these signals through the parallel port.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 04:09:34 PM »
I used DeskCNC a long time ago.

You will need to get new drives, and may as well get a power supply adequate for now and the future.
DeskCNC is not even a "JV"  team as compared to Mach. And at one time if you wanted info from the DeskCNC
forum they were asking for a fee of $60  to be a member. What B.S.!
DUMP DESKCNC / don't even fool with it!

My opinion and others may differ........AND....don't much care if Fred is listening in!

RICH
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  You've confirmed what I was thinking.  Now its time to figure out what I need to make this work!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »
Hi,

New here...just to reaffirm the fewcomments regarding this subject here and elsewhere. I have a Sys3A and wanted to switched and use Mach3 but you need to change the control board. I wished I would know this a couple years ago. IMService does not provide any help and hitted the can elsewhere...They sure took my money a couple years ago!

Alexg