Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:48:19 AM

Author Topic: Runaway axes  (Read 6851 times)

Runaway axes
« on: February 20, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »
I've been running the latest Mach3 release (R3.043.066) on Windows 7, with a UC100 USB to parallel controller, and a G540 (version eight), and I'm having an issue with a runaway axis (or two). I've had this happen to me infrequently in the past, maybe once every few months or so, but now it's happening every single time.
In the first video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjEN8x9O1Hg&feature=youtu.be you'll see a runaway X axis. I later reinstalled Mach3, and it appeared to have fixed things. Until it started again, this time about an hour into a CNC lathe setting up session, causing a Z axis runaway. I captured that in a second video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0cOSSliELU&feature=youtu.be.
The Gecko tech support said that their board could not be the one causing the issue, because it just reacts to the input signals. I tend to agree since the UC100 screen shows an active "Run" LED every time there's a runaway. The strange thing is that Mach3 DROs show no movement while the axis is running away, like it had nothing to do with it. Perhaps the UC100 is the issue. I have emailed them but so far no answer.
Has anyone ever run into this problem before?
Re: Runaway axes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »
By the way I also tried wrapping the UC100 in aluminum foil trying to eliminate interferences, but the problem persisted.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
I would say it certainly looks like the UC100 is the culprit rather than Mach. Reasons being the ones you pointed out such as the run command on the UC100 diagnostics and no DRO movement in Mach. I do not know for certain if the UC100 works in a similar fashion to other external controllers but likely it does. What they do is accept commands from Mach then process them and execute the motion, they also send info back to Mach to update the DROs. So because the motion is happening but the DROs dont update then it would suggest it is the UC100 that is the culprit.

If you want to attach your xml I can have a look through it to see if I can find an issue however that is probably not very likely.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 06:15:42 PM »
I tend to concur with your assessment, though I cannot be sure. I've attached my XML for you to take a look.

Ciao

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 06:20:04 PM »
I wonder, can you disable backlash and see if it still happens? I am wondering if there is something in the UC100 that is getting confused with the backlash as you have that set for Z only and possibly you had backlash set for X on the mill?

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 06:23:30 PM »
Try testing without using the ?Box Controller and see if it does it ( disable the plug-in also).
Is that a Microsoft X Box Controller?

Just curious....,

RICH
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
I removed every plugin except the one for the UC100... same thing. Yes, it is a genuine Microsoft controller, it has been working great for over 1 year.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
I wonder, can you disable backlash and see if it still happens? I am wondering if there is something in the UC100 that is getting confused with the backlash as you have that set for Z only and possibly you had backlash set for X on the mill?

Hood

I'll be damned! I disabled the backlash compensation and it seems to work ok. I ran the Z axis up and down 50 times with no apparent issues.

That's great Hood, you're "da Man"!

Now, what does this mean? Do I have some strange issue still? Is backlash compensation broken? Is there anything I can do to use backlash comp, and not have those issues?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
I would say it is a problem with the UC100, backlash is done in it rather than Mach.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »
I would say it is a problem with the UC100, backlash is done in it rather than Mach.
Hood

Very interesting.

I have finally gotten in touch with the CNCdrive guys in Hungary, and have passed it along to them, together with the videos. I might find out more on Monday, or Tuesday. If there are some info that might be useful to all, I'll certainly post them.

Thanks for your help, Hood.