Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:44:42 PM

Author Topic: Adding PCI Parallel Port  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Lubby

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Adding PCI Parallel Port
« on: February 20, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »
Hello All,

I've read through many forums and other sources and have yet to work out the issue I'm having.  I'm hoping to work out a solution to it.  Below is what I have, what I hope to do, and what I've tried.  Hopefully you can help me work this out.

WHERE I AM AT:

- I'm running a DELL with Windows XP and a GECKO G540 interfacing with the motors. (this have been working fine)
- I am using all motor ports, X, Y, Z with A as slave axis to X

I want to add a 5th motor (B) to the machine for rotation.

- I have added a PCI parallel port ( BYTECC, BT-P2P which supports SPP/PS2/EPP/ECP)
- It has installed properly.
- Device Manager lists it as DXF0-DXF7  ( with the second line being DXF8...)
- In Mach3/Config/Ports&Pins I've selected Port 2 and entered DXF0 and applied it.  It shows up as 0xdxf0 which I believe is correct from what I've read.  (I've tried DXF8 as well)
- I've configured some of the Outputs and Inputs under Port 2

- it doesn't seem to work.
- there is no software or manual way of seeing if it is at EPP
- I've tested the pins on the port and can't get them to change HIGH or LOW.  1-17 are HIGH with the 18-25 remainder LOW.
- changing these port 2 pins via Mach3 to 'active low' makes no difference either

OPTIONS MOVING FORWARD?

- It's possible that it is the PCI board but it appears that others have made it work... at least I've seen DXF0 out there.  Is this the issue?  Suggestions?
- I could go with a USB version but this appears even more complicated to setup via Mach3
- Is it possible to hard wire the Slave Axis (A) with X?  This could free up a stepper port on the Gecko G540?

Suggestions on my options?  Where I might be going wrong?  Alternatives?

Thanks.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Adding PCI Parallel Port
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
Not sure why your parallel port is not working as it should - certainly DXF0 is the correct address to use if that's what it reports in device manager.

- Is it possible to hard wire the Slave Axis (A) with X?  This could free up a stepper port on the Gecko G540?

Not a good idea. It sort of works but the modern driver controller chips sense back emf in order to circumvent mid-band resonance stalling and they get confused when given the info from two motors. If you want to try it then check with Gecko first, I am sure they will give you a similar answer.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Lubby

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »
Thanks Tweakie.

I'm still leaning towards a second port as the best option.  I just need to work out whether the issue is the PCI port I've picked up or if it's how I've configured or set it up?

Just trying to work out if there's something obvious that I'm missing before sourcing and purchasing another PCI card ( I don't want to spend the time and money doing that only to run into the same issues with another card.)

Anything in the described setup sound off?
Any common missteps in setting up a PCI port?

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 03:28:59 PM »
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Lubby

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »
Thanks for that link.  I hadn't found that thread before.  I've ordered the RC304 card.  I'll post the results.

Offline Lubby

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:43:52 PM »
I've installed the RC-304 card and after struggling through some configurations everything works fine.  I had had the '2-9 INPUT pins' check on the ports and pins which were creating some issues.

Thanks for the support.