Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:25:45 AM

Author Topic: Help with ports on mach3  (Read 3689 times)

Help with ports on mach3
« on: February 08, 2015, 09:40:55 PM »
Hi I have recently purchased a second hand CNC Router, it is a rather old isel model from about 12-15 years ago. (supplied computer was running a windows 98 cnc server program.)
At the present time the 3 axis are hooked up via a serial plug and the router is connected via a separate control box using a parallel plug.
from what I have read mach3 doesn't accept serial port in.
Is my best option to convert from serial to parallel or to usb?
The router head can be controlled by hand but being able to hook that up too would be the best option.

What would you recommend I use as the input for mach3?
What are the best port selecting/aligning tutorials for use with mach3?

If you require more information just ask and I will get back to you as quickly as possible.
Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give.
Brian
Re: Help with ports on mach3
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:35:28 PM »
If the PC can run Windows XP, and if the PC is equipped with it's own (built-in to the mother board) Parallel Port, then I would recommend purchasing a G540 controller card from Gecko. It will be neccessary to do some of your own wiring, but you should be able to get it running under Mach 3 control.
Things you will need to know:
Motor type (Stepper or Servo)
Voltage ratings for each motor
Ohm readings for each coil of each motor (stepper type motors)
Whether the motors are Unipolar or Bipolar motors.
If you can obtain all of this information, and post it here, you may find that others can help you to get things going. For this is the very first information they will need to help you along your path. Unfortunately, there are just so many variables to all of this, that it does require a certain "Process of elimination" to even begin to help someone.
Re: Help with ports on mach3
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
Thank you I understand the amount of variables, at the time of posting this I wasn't with the machine.
The computer is a dual core Intel with 3gb of ram currently running Windows 7 64 bit

It didn't have a parallel port or serial, so I have installed a PCI card to allow for that.

The steper motors are being controlled via an
Isel microstep controller c142-4.1.
Output serial port.
The router head is being controlled via a
Kavo 4444
Output parallel port