Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:51:03 AM

Author Topic: Custom Coil Winding Machine  (Read 6454 times)

Custom Coil Winding Machine
« on: January 04, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
Hey all,

I am at the startup of building a coil winding machine.  I have been using Mach3 for my lathe for a few years now and have also explored using it for magnetic field map positioning device.

My new machine will wind circular solenoids as well as saddle coils, (coils made to saddle onto an angular portion large dia tube).
I would like some starting advice to steer me in the right direction as to how to set up the steppers.
For the saddle coils I would imagine that the spindle would be a 4th axis setup.  (position angular, move Z axis along center to one end, then position angular for the end wind and move Z axis back, repeat).

For the solenoids, it seems I would set up the spindle as a standard positioning axis "(X)" not a angular one.  That is, one rev = 0.100".  Then calculate the speed and feed of the X and Z axis depending on wire DIA and number of turns/layer.

After I get this up and running I am going to revive my mach screen learning and build a wizard for it. 

Am I on the right track?  Any starting advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
TheDude,

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Coil Winding Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 05:34:50 AM »
Perhaps, as a starting point, check out Brian & Benny’s Coil Winder Screen. http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/screensets/
I think this should provide you with a good basis for your intended project.

(I have recently used a modified version of this screen for, single layer, Guitar string winding http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,28721.0.html still a long way to go but getting there slowly).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
Perhaps, as a starting point, check out Brian & Benny’s Coil Winder Screen. http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/screensets/
I think this should provide you with a good basis for your intended project.

(I have recently used a modified version of this screen for, single layer, Guitar string winding http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,28721.0.html still a long way to go but getting there slowly).

Tweakie.

Thanks!
Yes, I checked out their screen, it's well done.  I will need some custom options though as not all my coils are round solenoids.  I'll be making my own control screens for it at some point too.
What I would like to know is the best way to setup the steppers for the spindle and traverse wire guide.
Should the spindle be radial or incremental positioning?  Spindle speed to traverse speed for a given wire dia would be done with federate ratios?

Just curious as to a good start.
TheDude,

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 02:09:39 AM »
If you go back and look at Brian & Benny's Coil Winder screen then examine how it creates the necessary Gcode it will answer all your questions.

Basically, the spindle (A axis) is set as linear but both Absolute and/or Incremental moves can be used in the traverse (X axis) as appropriate. The feed-rate, whilst winding, will always be a blended rate (between A & X) but, usually, the rotary axis (A) will be the limiting factor as far as maximum winding speed is concerned.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »
If you go back and look at Brian & Benny's Coil Winder screen then examine how it creates the necessary Gcode it will answer all your questions.

Basically, the spindle (A axis) is set as linear but both Absolute and/or Incremental moves can be used in the traverse (X axis) as appropriate. The feed-rate, whilst winding, will always be a blended rate (between A & X) but, usually, the rotary axis (A) will be the limiting factor as far as maximum winding speed is concerned.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.

Ahh,,  I see.  I thought that's the best way to set up the axis, but glad to hear some confirmation.  I can use Brian and Benny's configuration as a baseline and modify to my needs.  This sounds like a good start for my project, Thanks everyone!!!!!
TheDude,