Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:19:53 PM

Author Topic: Estop w/ 2 Ports  (Read 5619 times)

Re: Estop w/ 2 Ports
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 12:20:05 AM »
Hi,

The switch on the enable line allows you to de-energise the stepper motors, allowing you to adjust the axis position by hand. I find it useful for setting the z-axis to the top of the work surface.

Output #6 is switching mains power to an outlet socket. You can use it to turn on a vacuum system or flood coolant pump, etc.  The active supply to this should really go via the EStop switch as well. I need to update that on the diagram.

There is nothing special about the IEC switch block, other than it has a switch, fuse holder and IEC lead socket in a neat package. What you are using is fine.
http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=86

Cheers,

Peter

----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline knucklbustr

•  9 9
  • Philly Burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 10:30:32 AM »
Should limit switches be tied in w/ a power supply ?

If I understand correctly, the above posted design has limit switches thru the Geck540.
If a switch is tripped, is sent thru the Gecko540 causing a stop to axis pin 1-4. Reset thru Mach3.

Which opens another ques. If an axis has hit a limit, how can you move it off the limit if there is an estop ?
I havnt tried this yet.

I have decided to use the Neg 48v PS thru my estop.
Im also tying in the Neg from Z-driver w/ estop.

Still trying to figure using Z limits in conjunction w/ Gecko540
From my initial post, Z is handled by a separate BOB and driver on port 2. Limits are NO, not NC .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:32:59 AM by knucklbustr »
The right hand is always beating up my left hand.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 10:57:13 AM »
I have decided to use the Neg 48v PS thru my estop.

Very bad idea!!! You want to cut off the AC input to the power supply NOT the DC form power supply to the stepper drive.

Should limit switches be tied in w/ a power supply ?

Well, it depends :) If you have a small machine and running it into a hard stop at the end of the axis travel won't break things then using a limit that is just SW controlled is OK. On large machines the limits are often tied to a system that will trip an EStop, and brake the axis. On an industrial machine there are often regulations that specify how this must be handled.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline knucklbustr

•  9 9
  • Philly Burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »
Why is it a bad way using 48v PS ?

Im concerned running a 120v neutral line around my mill.
Probably would have to use 12ga solid. Then enclose in a protective conduit of some type.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
I think we are talking about different things. Your EStop should cut the AC feeding the power supply, this does not mean you run 120V to your EStop unless it is a small machine and you can mount the EStop in the same cabinet as the rest of your electronics. If your EStop is mounted remotely then your EStop circuit should trigger a contactor/safety relay that energized the power supply.

it is not a good idea to try and cut the DC power between the power supply and Stepper drive, this can lead to a blown up stepper drive.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline knucklbustr

•  9 9
  • Philly Burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 09:18:10 PM »
Where do I get a power source for this relay ?
I have a SSR-25-DA. Input 3-32VDC