Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:48:39 AM

Author Topic: X-Axis Motor Tuning help.  (Read 3187 times)

X-Axis Motor Tuning help.
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »
Hello all,  I really didn't want to start this one but i searched and tried solutions that others have suggested and none are working for me.  I think mine might be deeper.  I'll try my best with supplying info to you and will get you as much as I can.  (photos/videos too if needed) I'm really a new user to CNCs.

I have ZERO issues with my y and z axis on the motor tuning. they move super smooth. my x-axis seems to fail here and there and it's just killing my CNC production work when doing 3D work.

The motor is a IDC P33V-CO Part number is 801-307.  It is connected to a screw drive that is about 6' long.  my initial thought was it was binding because the the drive was not completely square. I've fixed that issue and I still see skipping (mainly only in 3D).  I would think this motor should be strong enough to kill me but I can stop the movement of the carriage with little effort with the current tuning. Is it getting to little of power? 

The drive I'm using is a Geckodrive G540

CNC table is ~7'x2.5'

X-axis settings:
Steps per: 78.80090284
velocity: 4000.2
acceleration: 900
step pulse: 1
Dir Pulse: 0

if you need more info and/or any suggestions please let me know.
 cheers.
~Brad

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: X-Axis Motor Tuning help.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 02:56:29 AM »
With steppers it is all trial and error I am afraid. It will depend on your individual axis, its weight, friction etc as to what you can achieve.
Just reduce your velocity and accel by 50% and then adjust one up a bit at a time until you start having problems then reduce a wee bit and increase the other until you have problems then back it off a wee bit.
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 02:24:39 PM »
Is  X the long axis or short axis on your machine ?

Are you using metric or imperial values for setup ?

Do you have the specs on the motor you are using as to power requirements Volt, Amps ?

Do you have the Drives set to the proper AMPS for the motor ??

Do yo have a picture of your machine ?

(;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:20:08 PM »
hey guys. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been under the weather forever and hadn't been down in the basement for a while.

Hood: I gave the a whirl and things are moving better I just feel like it could be a whole heck of a lot better

BR549 please see below:
Is  X the long axis or short axis on your machine ?  X is the long
Are you using metric or imperial values for setup ?  Metric
Do you have the specs on the motor you are using as to power requirements Volt, Amps ?  I have no idea. i've googled the heck out of this motor and couldn't find anything. I'm sure this is very important to solving this for me.
Do you have the Drives set to the proper AMPS for the motor ??  Unknow.  How do I check for this?
Do yo have a picture of your machine ?  see below

linear rail system. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:33:05 PM by skimann20 »
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:43:27 PM »
Br549 or anyone else. Wanted to see if you have any further comments. Still not working well.
  Cheers,
 Brad
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »
okay gang. I figured it out.  I chased all the lines down and was unable to to find anything with wiring. I then changed the tuning and port on the y axis and tried to run it in that position and still nothing. So I know i'm fine from the Geco drive back to the PC. I decided to pull the motor out and see if it was spinning okay.  it came out with a slight tug and I fond that it was spinning fine. I reinstalled it and the carriage was able to move freely. after about a minute of work it stopped working again.  ahhhh got it figured it out.  The junction from the motor was no longer gripping the shaft. tightened that badboy and I was able to run with NO issues. I'm back to the x-axis capable of "killing" me now...
some photos for your enjoyment: