Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:15:54 AM

Author Topic: Serial Outputs Working, Inputs Not  (Read 8415 times)

Offline Hylan

•  11 11
    • View Profile
Serial Outputs Working, Inputs Not
« on: December 27, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »
I just built a new computer Windows7-32bit and installed Mach3.  My machine is running using a db25 parallel port and is outputting and controlling the machine fine.  However, I have no inputs.  My E-stop is on pin 12 and it worked fine on the older XP computer that died.  Now I can't for the life of me figure out why it's not working.  I had to change how it was setup just to clear the estop.

I had seen that I might need to change my bios for the serial port to ECP+EPP from bidirectional.  However, this isn't an option in my bios (see attached picture).

Any suggestions are welcome.  I'm wondering if I don't need to add a Smooth Stepper to the system and not use the serial output?  Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Hylan

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Outputs Working, Inputs Not
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 05:49:07 AM »
Hi,

you are looking in the serial port settings, but
you have to look for parallel Port settings.

Thomas
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline Hylan

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
Thomas, you are right and I went back in and there are no bios settings for the parallel ports.  I guess this makes sense since the mobo doesn't have any parallel ports on it.  I have a old parallel port installed (not sure of it's make or model) and this one is the one I'm using and running the machine with.  It outputs but doesn't input.
I saw others posting that the Lava dual PP boards work really well.  So I bought one and installed it.  However, I can't get it to work at all.  I think it's a setting issue, but I can't get any of the utility software to run on my computer.
Any advice on how to configure the Lava board on a Win7-32 machine?
Thanks,
Hylan

Offline TPS

•  2,505 2,505
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 02:04:08 AM »
Hylan,
have you checked in control panel -> hardware (hope it named so in the englisch version)
how the card is detected by the system ?
maybe you have to install a new driver from Lava homepage.

Thomas
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline Hylan

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »
Thomas,

Yes, I checked everything and downloaded the driver from Lava.  It still didn't work.  I finally gave up and installed an Ethernet Smooth Stepper and everything is now back up and running properly!

Thank you,
Hylan