Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:21:08 AM

Author Topic: Is Lazy Cam ready?  (Read 3555 times)

Is Lazy Cam ready?
« on: April 04, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »

I have my Licenced Mach 3 and small CNC machine running now. And i want to cut 2D and "2 1/2 D" spark eroding electrodes on my mill. (I am a 'one man band" mold/toolmaker.)

I need to make a decision about my CAM direction. I

I have read the Mach 3 manual, watched 2 of the Lazy CAM Vids i could download (there is intermittant difficulties downloading for some reason in NZ - not just me but at other computer/ ISPs ) and read a lot of the forum articles - but the research has been a bit of a 'moving target' as Lazy CAM and info is updated.

I want to get started quickly if possible...........but make the decision about which CAM - (and even which CAD/CAM)  later on - when I have a deeper understanding of the best long term option/direction to go in.

My Question - Is the current  Lazy Cam or Lazy Cam pro practical for this use:

I have a good Solid CAD package and it can output drawings in dxf easily - I have opened them into the Lazy Cam - in my licenced version and can generate the G code and all looks good.........but...........

With the version I have the control point only seems to follow the drawing path and I can find no easy way to allow for cutter diameter/cutter compensation or sizing etc. - (I understand this cannot be simply added by scaling etc and is on angles not simple to factor in.)

Is this because this feature is not available in standard Lazy Cam and I need to purchase Lazy CAM Pro? IE Does Lazy Cam pro have good tooloffsets and sizing function? and........ are there any other limitations I need to know about for the above type of work.

If so maybe I should bite the bullet and purchase Bob Cad/Cam? - Or some CAM package to compliment my solid CAD. A dilemma - needing to get underway but not wanting to spend too much time and money going down the wrong road!

Any advice would be apprecieated!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Is Lazy Cam ready?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »
Cliffth,
    I have sent you a personal message.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:07:12 PM »
I think Brett has his own forum ;) Thank you Brett for the help
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 04:48:43 PM »
How do you get Lazycam to provide an offset for the diameter of the End mill?    ???
I have tried the "offsets" tab, but it does not seem to do anything, and there is a button there that is greyed out.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »
Split, I think you have to upgrade to LC Pro for that. I haven't had much time to play with it yet but my offset tab is not greyed out. I have LC Pro.You can buy a licenses here.

http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/artsoft/plugin.htm

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!