Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:53:38 AM

Author Topic: Motor question  (Read 4766 times)

Motor question
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »
I would like some help I'm no electrician I've only wired houses and normal stuff so when it comes to electronics I'm lost. So anyways our front loader washer machine died last week the aluminum bracket corroded away that holds the tub so after a lot of research we got a Speed Queen very well built washer. I tore into the old washer and found a motor rated for 17500 rpm and controllable rpm i think and i want to use it. Does any body know how to control this I have three blue wires and don't have a clue ware to start

These are the only three wires from the control board

Re: Motor question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »
That is a 195 volt 3 phase motor and the controller is an inverter that puts out up to 310hz as the nameplate indicates.  So you have to use that inverter with it.  The question then becomes how is the inverter controlled?  It is likely that it uses digital inputs to select functions hard coded into the controller, not an analog signal from another controller which would have made it useful.  That is how the laundromat washers I have worked on did it.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »
Edit:
The voltage and hertz range is close enough it would probably work fine with any commercial inverter.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »
That is a 195 volt 3 phase motor and the controller is an inverter that puts out up to 310hz as the nameplate indicates.  So you have to use that inverter with it.  The question then becomes how is the inverter controlled?  It is likely that it uses digital inputs to select functions hard coded into the controller, not an analog signal from another controller which would have made it useful.  That is how the laundromat washers I have worked on did it.

Thanks for the reply so how would i go about finding out if if its hard coded or analog is there a way to play with the only three wires that come off the board to find out?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:19:27 AM »
The three wires to the motor are power to the motor. The controller board would have to have other wires or connectors to make connection to the rest of the machine, as well as wires to supply AC to the board. What you really need though is the wiring diagram for the machine it came out of. That would tell a lot.